1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Central Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by blakebogie, Apr 14, 2014.

1. blakebogie

blakebogie Young Morel

What a bummer in most of Wisconsim today, SNOW!!! Hopefully it is going to warm up and stay warm. We need to get those soil temps back up to the 50's.

I live in Fond du Lac and am just now starting to see the very first greens pop up from the soil. I can't wait to get those Morels though, probably a few more weeks.

Does anyone know what are usually the first type of wild edibles to look for? Leeks? Fiddle heads? Any others?

2. avngal

avngal Young Morel

Ramps also known as wild leeks should be one of the first things up. We are picking them in SE WI already. Here they are about 4-5 inches tall and of perfect size for me. Some folks wait until they get much bigger but the bulbs will be very strong then and not to my taste. Morels come about three weeks after the ramps but it depends on temperatures and precipitation.

3. biofool

biofool Young Morel

Hi all, just seeing if anyone has seen early sign in the Kettle Moraine North Unit (Fond du Lac County). Just spent the week in central MO, and they are at peak, with mostly yellows; I know we're getting close.
    Thanks!

4. jeff

jeff Young Morel

any Farmers Markets going on in the SE WI that is selling Morels yet.