Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chanterelle Shrimp Pie
This is a variation yesterday, of Jack's superb Crawfish Chanterelle Pie he shared 3-4 years ago.
First: Chanterelles, enough to be choosey.

DSC00674.JPG

A cutting board full, below, drying in the sun -- or 4 cups cut into pieces.

DSC00680.JPG

DSC00685.JPG

Above: Shrimp, raw, cut into bite sized pieces, Chanterelles, Chicken stock, onions, garlic, fresh corn cut off the cob, corn starch, cream, fresh parsley and spices (smoked paprika, cyanne, salt & pepper)

Everything is sauteed/cooked 3/4 before putting into the shell to bake further and crust is baked before filling. Finished Pie cooling down, below.

DSC00692.JPG

Chanterelle Shrimp Pie, Fresh Curly Parsley, Brined Yellow Wax Beans and Pickled Jalopenos, both cold & both from the garden.

DSC00702.JPG

Happy Hunting Everyone.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Chanterelle, Corn & Yellow Wax Bean Chowder
I've made this every year for 6 years and twice each year, the last three years.

Three main ingredients.
DSC00463.JPG

The soup was a basic chicken stock with cream added at the end. 1/2 cup of white wine, onions, garlic. The Chanterelles were sauteed till they started to carmelize.

DSC00473 flipped.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chanterelle Shrimp Linguini
(This is a repost of earlier this year that was deleted)

Simple ingredients.
DSC00496.JPG

I chose to saute the chanterelles and prep the cream sauce separately form cooking the shrimp. Last time I did this recipe, I thought the Shrimp overpowered the Chanterelles and cream sauce.
DSC00502.JPG

So I added the Shrimp on the plate, cooked separately and was pleased with how they worked together - being complimentary.

DSC00506.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cold Pickled Chanterelles with Smoked Pulled Pork in Lettuce Wrap
Nice cold dish I did last year and am looking forward to doing again this summer.

Chanterelles, sugar & vinegar.

DSC04816.JPG

Cooking below.
DSC04817.JPG

You end up with a chilled, sweet and tart Chanterelles, below.
DSC04819.JPG

It's a wrap, literally and figuratively.

DSC04821.JPG

Just don't load it so much that you can't get your mouth around it!! Ha!

DSC04826.JPG

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sherried Chanterelles on Toast with Eggs

This is simple for as good as it is. I would favor heavy cream but half & half was all I had here.

2013-7-(Jul)-20 002.jpg

Cook down till it thickens up some & put over toast, along side of fried eggs that can still run, cheese shreds, parsley and the cherry tomatoes from the garden got a dash of Parm/Romany Cheese.

2013-7-(Jul)-20 005.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sauteed Chanterelles with Salmon

DSC03652.JPG

Ready to Saute in Butter.

DSC03653.JPG

I like to get a little Carmelize on the Chants and liked it with the Charcoal grilled Salmon

DSC03654.JPG

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chanterelle Scrambled Egg Wrap

Chants, tortilla wraps, eggs, cheese shreds and parsley.
DSC05095.JPG

DSC05097.JPG

I put Mayo on my wrap (not shown). You can see everything on the tortilla, ready to warp it -- with one already done on the left.

DSC05098.JPG

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chanterelle Pea Curry

Chanterelles drying in the sun.

2016-8-(Aug)3 001.jpg

While the original recipe called for 12 different spices -- they amounted to being a Curry blend and I use Penzy's Sweet Curry which has no real Heat to it, yet lots of complexity.
2016-8-(Aug)3 005.jpg

The unique item above, center bottom was Cashew Butter which I had and substituted for the Cashews which the recipe called for.
To me it was a complex yet satisfying taste -- served over rice.
2016-8-(Aug)3 013.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Chanterelle Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, again

Chants and fresh green Onions and Parsley from the garden.

DSC03782.JPG

The Nasturtiems are edible, with a peppery radish like taste.

DSC03788.JPG

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chanterelles, Pickled & Cold

2015-7-(Jul)-26 007.jpg

Testing a few. Verdict: good. The chant taste remains after pickling, in my opinion.

2015-12-(Dec)-12 002.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Chanterelle Vodka

Here, I've tried fresh and dried and I personally like using dried as I believe the flavor becomes more concentrated. So, I watch for Chanterelles with especially floral, apricot aroma, dry them and use them.

2015-12-(Dec)-14 002.jpg

2015-12-(Dec)-14 008.jpg

Chanterelle Martini.
It took quite some experimenting (hick!!) to get the right flavor strength. The strength was quickly overpowering. So this goes back into how much is put into the Vodka to steep, to begin with.

2015-12-(Dec)-20 007.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jg - Looks great . . . and I'm drinking a cold one as I write this. I have to admit that I've never had battered smelt. In the last year, I've seen them frozen in bags in a local grocery store, not fresh, though.

I hope those who posted on the previous Dinner Plate Page choose to contribute to this new one. Thanks for your contribution.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts