Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Whoaaa! The Scallops have a great sear and look sumptous with the candied Chanterelles on them. Thanks for sharing, Jack!!

Will you share the recipe for how you did the candy caps that you put on top of the pudding. Are you using "candy cap mushrooms" or Chanterelles as a substitute? or putting candied Chants on top of a "candy cap mushroom pudding"?

Candy cap as in: Lactarius -- L camphoratus, L rubidus, L fragilis varieties ?
I've read that Candy Caps are sweeter after drying. Is this what you do?
Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
IMGP0002_2.JPG
sb, Candy Caps don't grow here so I bought some on line. They were L. rubidus. I just used a simple Cornstarch Pudding recipe : 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup white sugar, 3 tab.spoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon butter. Heat milk till bubbles form on the edge of the pan. In a bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and powdered Candy Caps [ about 2 or 3 dried caps ] ( I smash and grind them between 2 spoons ) Pour into hot milk a little at a time till mixture thickens. Do not boil.Remove from heat, stir in butter & vanilla. Pour into serving dishes and cool. I put plastic wrap over each bowl so a skin doesn't form on the pudding as it cools. Before serving sprinkle Candied Chanterelles over pudding.

Candied Chanterelles :
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 9.47.50 AM.png

·
Registered
318 Posts
Chanterelle Shrimp Pie
This is a variation yesterday, of Jack's superb Crawfish Chanterelle Pie he shared 3-4 years ago.
First: Chanterelles, enough to be choosey.

View attachment 22844

A cutting board full, below, drying in the sun -- or 4 cups cut into pieces.

View attachment 22846

View attachment 22848
Above: Shrimp, raw, cut into bite sized pieces, Chanterelles, Chicken stock, onions, garlic, fresh corn cut off the cob, corn starch, cream, fresh parsley and spices (smoked paprika, cyanne, salt & pepper)

Everything is sauteed/cooked 3/4 before putting into the shell to bake further and crust is baked before filling. Finished Pie cooling down, below.

View attachment 22850

Chanterelle Shrimp Pie, Fresh Curly Parsley, Brined Yellow Wax Beans and Pickled Jalopenos, both cold & both from the garden.

View attachment 22852
Happy Hunting Everyone.
You're killin'me sb! Can I come over for dinner! lol. Seriously though, have you ever considered opening a restaurant? Judging by the pics, I don't think you'd have a problem getting return customers! Great job and nice photos! Thanks........ (if you do open a restaurant, could you do it closer to California?)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks jack; I'll give it a try sometime (if we ever get any rain or cool weather out here in CA!) Like a lot of others on this site, I'm griping about the lack of shrooms due to dry & warm temps! Thanks again for the info!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts