Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Chanterelle Dinner Pics & Recipes.

8K views 47 replies 5 participants last post by  sb 
#1 · (Edited)
Chanterelle Shrimp Pie
This is a variation yesterday, of Jack's superb Crawfish Chanterelle Pie he shared 3-4 years ago.
First: Chanterelles, enough to be choosey.

Food Dish Cuisine Ingredient Produce

A cutting board full, below, drying in the sun -- or 4 cups cut into pieces.

Yellow Ingredient Leaf Tree Fungus

Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Meal

Above: Shrimp, raw, cut into bite sized pieces, Chanterelles, Chicken stock, onions, garlic, fresh corn cut off the cob, corn starch, cream, fresh parsley and spices (smoked paprika, cyanne, salt & pepper)

Everything is sauteed/cooked 3/4 before putting into the shell to bake further and crust is baked before filling. Finished Pie cooling down, below.

Dish Food Cuisine Zwiebelkuchen Quiche

Chanterelle Shrimp Pie, Fresh Curly Parsley, Brined Yellow Wax Beans and Pickled Jalopenos, both cold & both from the garden.

Dish Cuisine Food Ingredient Garnish

Happy Hunting Everyone.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Chanterelle, Corn & Yellow Wax Bean Chowder
I've made this every year for 6 years and twice each year, the last three years.

Three main ingredients.
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Produce

The soup was a basic chicken stock with cream added at the end. 1/2 cup of white wine, onions, garlic. The Chanterelles were sauteed till they started to carmelize.

#3 ·
Chanterelle Shrimp Linguini
(This is a repost of earlier this year that was deleted)

Simple ingredients.
Food Dish Cuisine Ingredient Shrimp

I chose to saute the chanterelles and prep the cream sauce separately form cooking the shrimp. Last time I did this recipe, I thought the Shrimp overpowered the Chanterelles and cream sauce.
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Vegetarian food

So I added the Shrimp on the plate, cooked separately and was pleased with how they worked together - being complimentary.

Food Cuisine Dish Scampi Ingredient

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Cold Pickled Chanterelles with Smoked Pulled Pork in Lettuce Wrap
Nice cold dish I did last year and am looking forward to doing again this summer.

Chanterelles, sugar & vinegar.

Cooking below.
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Recipe

You end up with a chilled, sweet and tart Chanterelles, below.

It's a wrap, literally and figuratively.

Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Salad

Just don't load it so much that you can't get your mouth around it!! Ha!

Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Recipe

#9 ·
Chanterelle Pea Curry

Chanterelles drying in the sun.

Cuisine Food Dish Plant

While the original recipe called for 12 different spices -- they amounted to being a Curry blend and I use Penzy's Sweet Curry which has no real Heat to it, yet lots of complexity.
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Meal

The unique item above, center bottom was Cashew Butter which I had and substituted for the Cashews which the recipe called for.
To me it was a complex yet satisfying taste -- served over rice.

#12 · (Edited)
Chanterelle Vodka

Here, I've tried fresh and dried and I personally like using dried as I believe the flavor becomes more concentrated. So, I watch for Chanterelles with especially floral, apricot aroma, dry them and use them.

Food Mason jar Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Glass Gulkand Caramel color Ingredient Food

Chanterelle Martini.
It took quite some experimenting (hick!!) to get the right flavor strength. The strength was quickly overpowering. So this goes back into how much is put into the Vodka to steep, to begin with.

Drink Liqueur Glass Distilled beverage Mizuwari

#16 ·
jg - Looks great . . . and I'm drinking a cold one as I write this. I have to admit that I've never had battered smelt. In the last year, I've seen them frozen in bags in a local grocery store, not fresh, though.

I hope those who posted on the previous Dinner Plate Page choose to contribute to this new one. Thanks for your contribution.

#24 · (Edited)
Whoaaa! The Scallops have a great sear and look sumptous with the candied Chanterelles on them. Thanks for sharing, Jack!!

Will you share the recipe for how you did the candy caps that you put on top of the pudding. Are you using "candy cap mushrooms" or Chanterelles as a substitute? or putting candied Chants on top of a "candy cap mushroom pudding"?

Candy cap as in: Lactarius -- L camphoratus, L rubidus, L fragilis varieties ?
I've read that Candy Caps are sweeter after drying. Is this what you do?
Thanks!

#25 · (Edited)
Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Gum arabic
sb, Candy Caps don't grow here so I bought some on line. They were L. rubidus. I just used a simple Cornstarch Pudding recipe : 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup white sugar, 3 tab.spoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon butter. Heat milk till bubbles form on the edge of the pan. In a bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and powdered Candy Caps [ about 2 or 3 dried caps ] ( I smash and grind them between 2 spoons ) Pour into hot milk a little at a time till mixture thickens. Do not boil.Remove from heat, stir in butter & vanilla. Pour into serving dishes and cool. I put plastic wrap over each bowl so a skin doesn't form on the pudding as it cools. Before serving sprinkle Candied Chanterelles over pudding.

Candied Chanterelles :
Text Font Line Document Organism

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.