Chanterelles and other summer foragable mushrooms 2018

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by Tess, May 10, 2018.

1. Tess

Tess Morel Connoisseur

For those of us where the morel season is over, but the other wonderful summer mushrooms are upon us here in Indiana I thought I’d start this thread to get us until the next morel season comes around.

beagleboy, Pabst, T tom and 2 others like this.
  2. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

I know nothing but I'd like to learn

Pabst likes this.

3. Tess

Tess Morel Connoisseur

91CB2953-6B51-44BD-A2DF-97405B8DED89.jpeg
    24C76D0E-F02B-4A11-8351-7CAC146CE09D.jpeg So far what I know is they tend to like old growth forests and oak trees. We can learn together. Maybe get a group together this summer to hunt out some of these spots.

I know there aren’t a lot of old growth forests in Indiana, but I believe that there are two in middle of the state. Shawnee National Park in IL is old growth. There’s one here in the middle of the city of Evansville called Wesselman’s Park.

in.gov/dnr has some information.

T tom likes this.
  4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Speaking of Old Growth, anyone heard from Vern lately?

Inthewild, Tess, T tom and 4 others like this.
  5. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

I have seen him on the Indiana Site.

Tess and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Tess

Tess Morel Connoisseur

Lol you guys are silly. Pretty sure they were talking about boats and motoring again lol

7. jack

I have one of the newly described Chanterelles that is the predominant chanterelle in my area. Cantharellus phasmatis, The Ghost Chanterelle. Usually they are larger and really meaty, and in this area, they are seldom bug infested. You will only find about 1 in 50 that is buggy. Here's some at various stages of growth. IMGP0020.JPG IMGP0003.JPG IMGP0034.JPG

This is in the Chanterelle Family , Turbinellus floccosus, the Scaly Chanterelle

IMGP0057_2.JPG

MorelFanci, Zabz, Tess and 7 others like this.
  8. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

@Tess, thanks for starting this thread. I've always wanted to learn the other types, just never had the confidence on my own. @jack, thank you very much for sharing your wealth of knowledge, we all appreciate it sir.

9. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

This is a safe site to learn about new shrooms on.
    Please take clear pictures of top, underside, stems of anything you want ID'ed, spore prints too. Someone will help you positively ID your finds.
    My experience is steer clear of Facebook, as there is a lot of miss guided info & negativity.
    Peace.

MorelFanci, Inthewild, T tom and 5 others like this.
  10. Tess

Tess Morel Connoisseur

Thanks @jack! Nice info.

I’m going to go to Wesselman’s today in Evansville and see if there are any indications of chanterelles possibly popping up. It’s the closest old growth public land so I figure it’s a good spot to look. ​

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  11. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

Thanks buddy, I personally have never been on facefuc

1 person likes this.
  12. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

@Old Elm would you describe the method of spore prints, I think I know but not absolutely sure.

13. ckorte

ckorte Morel Enthusiast

B8469CEF-8490-45BD-841D-0E748A8E1475.jpeg F8E897CF-5ADD-4053-8CCA-71BB47D4A5CF.jpeg 282E1AB6-9BBA-434C-B30B-38A4C3BC203C.jpeg I’m in Illinois near St. Louis and I usually don’t start find chanterelles until at least June. These pictures were in August. Also right on hiking trail edges on north facing slopes where there is good moss growth and oak trees is a great place to start.

MorelFanci, Zabz, MycoMania and 7 others like this.
  14. jack

As far as a Spore Print goes, I just lay the cap gills down on white paper, or better yet a clear glass pane from a small window. These are prints from Brick Caps, Hypholoma lateritium.

IMGP0002.JPG Hypholomasublateritium_AutoCollage_7_Images.jpg

Tess, T tom, (deleted member) and 3 others like this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Tess - Over here in "Buckeye Nation" I don't find Chanterelles in Central OH until July. Our latitude is 40 degrees N for Columbus.

What's great about Chants here is that 'once they start' I will find them every time I go out. 9 for 9 times one year and 12 for 12 times another.

Of course, with their color, they call out to you: "Here I am, come get me." Personally, I like that, Ha!

Makes it fun and after Morels I like Chants next. Lots of good ways to cook them and they can flavor Vodka well, ha!

Perhaps this seemingly early summerish temps will hasten the arrival of Chanterelles.

MorelFanci, Tess, T tom and 2 others like this.
  16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I usually find my Chanterelles in central KY in late July and August in predominantly oak woods. Lions Mane in September again in oak woods.

Tess, T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  17. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

@sb glad to see you on the site. I follow you and Jack on the Ohio dinner plate thread. Looking forward to learning some of your knowledge.

18. Tess

Tess Morel Connoisseur

One of the things I was having trouble locating was the chanti season for my area, southwestern Indiana. I was assuming somewhere between late May to the end of August. But I know it’s only about 6-8 weeks long. There’s little information I’ve been able to find for Indiana.

So I was just going to go scope out places until I find a patch lol Wesselman’s Park in Evv really doesn’t have much old growth over 50 years old. There are a few really large old trees, but it’s fairly marshy right now. I think I’d have better luck in Hoosier National Forest or Harmonie State Park.

19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Just had a friend drop off a gallon bag full of very fresh chicken of the woods! He found them today in Oldham county north central KY. He showed me pics and it was huge, 20 lbs! I thought it was too early but obviously I was wrong.

MorelFanci, T tom, Tess and 2 others like this.
  20. vern

vern Morel Connoisseur

Rick, have you eaten them before..and if yes, whats it like pal ?