Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have one of the newly described Chanterelles that is the predominant chanterelle in my area. Cantharellus phasmatis, The Ghost Chanterelle. Usually they are larger and really meaty, and in this area, they are seldom bug infested. You will only find about 1 in 50 that is buggy. Here's some at various stages of growth.
IMGP0020.JPG
IMGP0003.JPG
IMGP0034.JPG

This is in the Chanterelle Family , Turbinellus floccosus, the Scaly Chanterelle

IMGP0057_2.JPG

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@Tess, thanks for starting this thread. I've always wanted to learn the other types, just never had the confidence on my own. @jack, thank you very much for sharing your wealth of knowledge, we all appreciate it sir.
This is a safe site to learn about new shrooms on.
Please take clear pictures of top, underside, stems of anything you want ID'ed, spore prints too. Someone will help you positively ID your finds.
My experience is steer clear of Facebook, as there is a lot of miss guided info & negativity.
Peace.

·
Registered
70 Posts
B8469CEF-8490-45BD-841D-0E748A8E1475.jpeg
F8E897CF-5ADD-4053-8CCA-71BB47D4A5CF.jpeg
282E1AB6-9BBA-434C-B30B-38A4C3BC203C.jpeg
I’m in Illinois near St. Louis and I usually don’t start find chanterelles until at least June. These pictures were in August. Also right on hiking trail edges on north facing slopes where there is good moss growth and oak trees is a great place to start.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks @jack! Nice info.

I’m going to go to Wesselman’s today in Evansville and see if there are any indications of chanterelles possibly popping up. It’s the closest old growth public land so I figure it’s a good spot to look.​
Tess - Over here in "Buckeye Nation" I don't find Chanterelles in Central OH until July. Our latitude is 40 degrees N for Columbus.

What's great about Chants here is that 'once they start' I will find them every time I go out. 9 for 9 times one year and 12 for 12 times another.

Of course, with their color, they call out to you: "Here I am, come get me." Personally, I like that, Ha!

Makes it fun and after Morels I like Chants next. Lots of good ways to cook them and they can flavor Vodka well, ha!

Perhaps this seemingly early summerish temps will hasten the arrival of Chanterelles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks @jack! Nice info.

I’m going to go to Wesselman’s today in Evansville and see if there are any indications of chanterelles possibly popping up. It’s the closest old growth public land so I figure it’s a good spot to look.​
I usually find my Chanterelles in central KY in late July and August in predominantly oak woods. Lions Mane in September again in oak woods.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Just had a friend drop off a gallon bag full of very fresh chicken of the woods! He found them today in Oldham county north central KY. He showed me pics and it was huge, 20 lbs! I thought it was too early but obviously I was wrong.
Rick, have you eaten them before..and if yes, whats it like pal ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rick, have you eaten them before..and if yes, whats it like pal ?
Had some tonight that he had prepared sautéing them in garlic and butter. Excellent taste and texture. Taste like chicken sort of! More like the texture of a chicken breast just not quite as firm. They really need to be young and these were very young and fresh.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Had some tonight that he had prepared sautéing them in garlic and butter. Excellent taste and texture. Taste like chicken sort of! More like the texture of a chicken breast just not quite as firm. They really need to be young and these were very young and fresh.
Thanks boss...all of these years and i have never considered looking for them or chanterelles..hell, didnt even know that they grew here. ill have to change my way of thinking and hunt for the buggers..lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last year I tried to keep an eye out on my summer walks/hikes for chicken if the woods. I have yet to find one. That’s on my hit list too. Need to research them again though. The information has escaped my brain.
They usually start a little after morels and can go all the way to November if the weather is right.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went out behind the house last night to check a log that produced chickens a few years ago and nothing on that log. But as I entered the woods I walked past my 5 maple logs that have been producing oysters for the past 4 years and did see some baby oysters that I will let grow another day or 2. Looks like a lb. total maybe. Surprised to see those since it had not rained for several days and they rarely have produced this time of year.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Glad you started this thread @Tess !

I haven't had time to update the morel board
but I crushed a few days ago.

I found so many different (and new) mushrooms it was incredible.

Every time I find a new mushroom for me,
I say to myself, "new mushroom upgrade!" and
I hear a super mario brothers noise go off.

It's kind of like a PATCH you get in boy scouts for accomplishments.

I'm glad you have the fever for more than just morels too: I learned that you can expand your season almost year round by hunting other mushrooms. It makes all the seasons so much more fun.

Like you, I am just getting off the runway and haven't foraged others to eat just yet. Truth be told I am nervous to kill myself even though I am extremely detail oriented. Maybe we can use this forum to dispel any fears? Mycophobia as its called.

@jack , we certainly need your help and it is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 524 Posts