Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone.

I'm new here. I'm also a noob, as I've only done morel hunting in the past.

I live in Joplin, MO, and found these guys popping up in my yard. I have probably a couple hundred growing. I think I can ID them as Cinnabar Chanterelles, but would you guys be willing to take a look as well?

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pulled a nice batch of Golden Chanterelles from the side of a gravel road the other day, and I ate them yesterday with a small pile of cinnabars I've collected over the past week or so. I also stumbled upon the first patch of Black Trumpets found on my land yesterday! Trumpets are the first wild mushroom I ever found, or ate I think, and my family loves them, even my mycophobe wife! There were tons of babies all around, so I left them all. I'll watch the patch and post pics soon, just for fun!

Still no Cantharellus lateritius though...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found Cantharellus lateritius yesterday as well as cibarius. None were in the usual spots and after careful thought I realized that all I found were in good drainage area's or steep slopes. The frequent rain has made most spots to wet apparently

Mushroom are just spore platforms and they cant spore well if they are sopping wet IMO

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome, Veronica! Seriously, what is up with the Black Trumpets this year! :) I have seen so many big patches of them - and all in places I've never seen them before. It's amazing what nature does while we're not around. I have also seen several Trumpets that were really huge for the species! Delicious! The aroma of a handful of freshly plucked Black Trumpets is my favorite woods smell there is! I have also finally seen a few little smooth chanterelles. I'd say the next one to three weeks could yield someone a large pile of three or four species of chanterelle, if they find a few good spots, especially if we get consistent rain (fingers crossed). I also found a cluster of gilled boletes, which I've never found before. Such a cool shroom!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice finds! You gotta love those big patches. I'm finding oysters in good numbers here in northern Michigan. One lone spring king bolete found a week ago. I spotted a big yellow mushroom from the road, walked the 50 yards into the woods only to find out it was an agaric. fly agaric. not the giant chanterelle I thought it was. oh well, two weeks tops with all this weather we're getting and I should start finding more of a variety. good luck to all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found the gilled boletes only one time around some large Oaks, and they came up about 8 days after the rain.
Was that similar to your find?

I had also found one lone Bi-color bolete on Sunday, which is the reason I went looking..lol. The Trumpet's were growing where the Bi-colors and Sensibilis usually grow.

41 - 60 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.