Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Chants '13

11K views 137 replies 13 participants last post by  LYNKAGE 
#1 ·
Oneida County; I knew it was too soon but I had to check anyway. Plenty of moisture but not enough ground heat. The only Chants I found were buttons. They were on the fringe of a hardwood forest with an open field on its South facing flank. Meguesses that the sun drenched field warms up more then the canopy covered forest enough to push up the Chant buttons. They get both the warm ground temps and the indirect sunshine which they crave. The future looks bright! Enjoy the hunt!

#52 ·
some friends who expressed interest in shrooming stopped by two days ago.they asked some questions and looked thru my books.they came back last night with several sacksfull for help identifying.they had a pile of chants,different boletes and undesirables.they opened last bag and asked ''ever seen something like this?'' handfuls of trumpets!!talk about beginners luck!i searched for a few years before finding them.they say plenty more there.i must check it out.

#58 ·
could use some help on positive ID on rich brown ones.wrinkled,felty top,white mesh real tight to cap.narrowed it down but not sure.would love anybodies input!GEO,what do you think?good day if not for skeeters and humidity is killing me too,fogwhisper.HAPPY HUNTING!!!

#59 ·
Lynk, Nice haul! It is hard to tell with the pics and I am not too good with Boletes but my first guess would be Boletus separans. Spore print? Do they bruise brown when cut, how quickly? Under hardwoods? Man they look tasty ifin they are separans. Nice catch! Let me know what you come up with, I need to put more effort into this genus. Been away for family obligations, hope to get out tomorrow. Will report good or bad. What are you people using for Bolete IDing? Enjoy the hunt, Geo

#62 ·
Lynk, Sorry I can't agree. The pores from the picture seem too small to be mirabilis and all my books say Pine Bolete hangs out in the western part of the country. All pure speculation on my part. But thanks, it got me looking into the field guides.

#64 ·
geo,looked again and seems to be a slight hint of mustardy yellow color just beneath the dark brown on cap(very feint) stems off white w/ brown streaks and all white at top 1/8 to 1/4 inch.stem flesh non-brusing. pores offwhite w/ hint of beige when young darkening with age and same hint of mustard emerging brusing very slowly beige-brown.i appreciate the help! Fogwhisper,cold beer patch is only one i can count on to produce every time and my favorite go-to in this everpleasant weather!!

#65 ·
linda,do you not like them?if so,why not?my daughter won't touch shrooms because they're a fungus but loves cheese(go figure).i'd suggest sauteing some up in butter and garlic and trying them,they might grow on you.i think they're completely different from other shrooms in flavor and aroma.give it a shot,i could't stand olives for years,but kept trying them until i finally got it.good luck!

#66 ·
Just got back from a foray; Chants were everywhere but most too buggy to keep. Did find a bevy of boletes in need of pos.ID. Great day to be in the woods. A cloudy mist arose from the fast moving stream providing a cooling mist and the bugs were nearly non-existent. I enjoyed the hunt.

#69 ·
Max, I think not so strange. David Arora notes a difference in Pfifferling (Cantharellus cibarius) growing in the Western US opposed to the eastern US, especially in regards to insect attack. I only have first hand knowledge of the eastern variety and they are currently getting munched on big time. Greetings from the US, I have a buddy soon moving to Mittenwald, loves your country!

#71 ·
i love it when you stumble onto a new chanterelle spot. i went driving around some backroads and walked up into a pine stand to find chanterelles everywhere. most were small so i left them im going back in a few days hopefully they grow a little. also found some beautiful bi color boletes and when i was driving out i spotted a huge cluster of chicken of the woods about 30 yds deep in the woods. chicken of the woods curry is simmering on the stove.

#72 ·
kg,sounds yuuuummy!found a couple dozen edulis that were the kind shroom books have on the cover and a dozen or so bi-colors equally as nice,all in an hour after work next to job site.sometimes love work that jumps around.season has been great so far.HAPPY HUNTING!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.