Chants and summer shrooms #3

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by Kokomorel, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Started finding Hens last week in NE IN. have found a dozen so far. Looks like it's gonna be a good year. Funny thing, it's been drier than a popcorn fart, but the young hens are dripping with water. They must pull the water from the trees?

2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yes, the Hens are parasites on the trees, so I would have to guess that the trees are still pulling plenty of water.

3. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Headed out in the morning to see if I can find some chicken or some hens and work on a Deerstand maybe little fishing

4. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

I went scouting in west central Ohio mid week and the only thing I found was three Lions Mane, They were about softball size, two were old one was prime. It still has not rain in a couple weeks in my area. Hens can come out in dry conditions.

5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Thanks pedro.

I've got half dozen Central OH repeater Lions Mane spots. Time to pay them a visit, I see

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Kokomorel

No shrooms this week Deer season starts next week time to start chasing the whitetail

1 person likes this.
  7. shroomsearcher

Checked a couple of Hen spots today and there is absolutely nothing happening in my neck of the woods! I think it's just been too dry lately. Year started out too wet, and it's winding up too dry!

Kokomorel likes this.
  8. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

The deer season is nearly here, but climbing and sitting in a stand when it's 90 degrees will be a chore. I like the heat, but it's time for it to go.

9. shroomsearcher

I like the heat when I'm swimming or playing golf. When I'm hunting I certainly do NOT! Which is why I won't be going out Saturday for the opener. I look at it the same way I do the trout opener next door in PA. I wish everyone a good time catching lots of fish and dealing with the mob. I'll wait a while and start fishing when the crowds have disappeared and there are still plenty of trout to be caught. The trout opener at my fish & game club, and at every local body of water the holds trout, is pure bedlam!

I'll wait until this weather cools down some. I don't know how those good old boys down South do it! well, I do have some idea. You better make a good shot and find that deer pronto. Get it gutted and have an ATV to get that deer out of woods and to a running cooler or meat locker fast! I would not risk putting an arrow through a deer if thought there was a chance it would go to waste.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kokomorel

I never miss opening day of bow got an ATV processor is only about 5 miles away probably only hunt till about 1030 11 o’clock go fishing after that maybe some shrooming

2 people like this.
  11. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

Heading to Dugger to fish a 20 acre pit that hasn't been fished in years. Going to pull the motor off my boat and see if we can't lift the boat off the trailer into the water, and get some fish in the basket.

3 people like this.
  12. shroomsearcher

Yep! You got it wired tight! I don't have an ATV, so it's dragging it out for me. My BIL is one of the most die hard deer hunters I know. Here in NE Ohio there is an area called the Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area. Most of it is off limits being a migratory waterfowl sanctuary, but some years ago they opened up a portion of it to hunters. My BIL's house is not far from there, so he started hunting it. He said there were Boone & Crockett bucks galore, but being a state deal, you can't take motorized vehicles back in there. He shot a deer in there and it about killed him getting it out! Took him almost 7 hours! He doesn't hunt there any more!

2 people like this.
  13. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

ATV - check
    trailer - check
    completely enclosed stand with ATV parking underneath - check
    scent elimination stack - check
    Crops are still up. however. I wait until harvest is over.
    Besides, we are just starting to find these in NE Illinois:
    hens 9-27-19.jpg

14. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

I went out scouting again, in West Central Ohio. I did not see a thing. Still no rain in my area.

15. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I hope Robin Bluebird realized that there was a man setting in a chair before she bush hogged the area.

16. mmh

KoKo, What's up?

17. mmh

Thank you for the info. I have not been able to get out yet, I work a seven day week then a five day week.
    I will head to my go to tree for hens. I harvested 10# off of that one tree last year. Good luck my friend.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kokomorel

Just woke up to a nice thunder storm looks like we got over a inch of rain hope it will help the hens get started around here

1 person likes this.
  19. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Graylings are up in Northern Michigan ( Cantharellula umbonata ) Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 4.05.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 4.04.24 PM.png

20. stou8042

stou8042 Morel Enthusiast

I think this is ringless honey mushroom. Can anyone confirm? 20190929_183623.jpg 20190929_183642.jpg There are clusters all over my neighborhood. Mostly around oaks

1 person likes this.