Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

121 - 140 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Started finding Hens last week in NE IN. have found a dozen so far. Looks like it's gonna be a good year. Funny thing, it's been drier than a popcorn fart, but the young hens are dripping with water. They must pull the water from the trees?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Headed out in the morning to see if I can find some chicken or some hens and work on a Deerstand maybe little fishing

·
Registered
538 Posts
Checked a couple of Hen spots today and there is absolutely nothing happening in my neck of the woods! I think it's just been too dry lately. Year started out too wet, and it's winding up too dry!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The deer season is nearly here, but climbing and sitting in a stand when it's 90 degrees will be a chore. I like the heat, but it's time for it to go.
I like the heat when I'm swimming or playing golf. When I'm hunting I certainly do NOT! Which is why I won't be going out Saturday for the opener. I look at it the same way I do the trout opener next door in PA. I wish everyone a good time catching lots of fish and dealing with the mob. I'll wait a while and start fishing when the crowds have disappeared and there are still plenty of trout to be caught. The trout opener at my fish & game club, and at every local body of water the holds trout, is pure bedlam!

I'll wait until this weather cools down some. I don't know how those good old boys down South do it! well, I do have some idea. You better make a good shot and find that deer pronto. Get it gutted and have an ATV to get that deer out of woods and to a running cooler or meat locker fast! I would not risk putting an arrow through a deer if thought there was a chance it would go to waste.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I like the heat when I'm swimming or playing golf. When I'm hunting I certainly do NOT! Which is why I won't be going out Saturday for the opener. I look at it the same way I do the trout opener next door in PA. I wish everyone a good time catching lots of fish and dealing with the mob. I'll wait a while and start fishing when the crowds have disappeared and there are still plenty of trout to be caught. The trout opener at my fish & game club, and at every local body of water the holds trout, is pure bedlam!

I'll wait until this weather cools down some. I don't know how those good old boys down South do it! well, I do have some idea. You better make a good shot and find that deer pronto. Get it gutted and have an ATV to get that deer out of woods and to a running cooler or meat locker fast! I would not risk putting an arrow through a deer if thought there was a chance it would go to waste.
I never miss opening day of bow got an ATV processor is only about 5 miles away probably only hunt till about 1030 11 o’clock go fishing after that maybe some shrooming

·
Registered
538 Posts
I never miss opening day of bow got an ATV processor is only about 5 miles away probably only hunt till about 1030 11 o’clock go fishing after that maybe some shrooming
Yep! You got it wired tight! I don't have an ATV, so it's dragging it out for me. My BIL is one of the most die hard deer hunters I know. Here in NE Ohio there is an area called the Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area. Most of it is off limits being a migratory waterfowl sanctuary, but some years ago they opened up a portion of it to hunters. My BIL's house is not far from there, so he started hunting it. He said there were Boone & Crockett bucks galore, but being a state deal, you can't take motorized vehicles back in there. He shot a deer in there and it about killed him getting it out! Took him almost 7 hours! He doesn't hunt there any more!

·
Registered
230 Posts
ATV - check
trailer - check
completely enclosed stand with ATV parking underneath - check
scent elimination stack - check
Crops are still up. however. I wait until harvest is over.
Besides, we are just starting to find these in NE Illinois:
hens 9-27-19.jpg

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Started finding Hens last week in NE IN. have found a dozen so far. Looks like it's gonna be a good year. Funny thing, it's been drier than a popcorn fart, but the young hens are dripping with water. They must pull the water from the trees?
Thank you for the info. I have not been able to get out yet, I work a seven day week then a five day week.
I will head to my go to tree for hens. I harvested 10# off of that one tree last year. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think this is ringless honey mushroom. Can anyone confirm?
20190929_183623.jpg
20190929_183642.jpg
There are clusters all over my neighborhood. Mostly around oaks

121 - 140 of 195 Posts