Chants and summer shrooms #3

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by Kokomorel, Jul 8, 2019.

1. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Good pics, but get a spore print. If you don't know how to do that, just Google "mushroom spore prints" to show you how. If you get the right color, verified by either reporting it back here or looking at a site like "mushroomexpert.com", fry up a tiny little bit of it, and eat it. Sit back and check for reactions. It's advisable to not drink alcoholic beverages at the time, since alcohol can accentuate a negative reaction.

There is no such thing as being "too careful" when eating wild mushrooms for the first time.

2 people like this.
  2. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

900F198E-D5A9-489D-9ED9-8C4A8FDD5201.jpeg F1CA468A-D1E6-44F1-9006-1B5035148A8B.jpeg Had a great morning deer hunting went out in the afternoon shrooming still no luck with the hens must of checked 50 oak trees anyone finding hens close to Kokomo

3. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

We are at a slightly higher latitude with similar weather conditions and the hens have not hatched yet.
    There was an early flush in a few spots, but the hot weather shut the door on that. Ain't climate change grand?
    Two or three days into this cold front should be a good time to look. Nice view from your stand, by the way.

Kokomorel likes this.
  4. Kokomorel

Thanks for the info hopefully the cold front will get the hens and the deer going

5. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

The hens are happening here.
    We found a couple super fresh five-pounders today and a bunch that will be ready in 2-3 days.
    That said some of our reliable spots are still not showing squat yet.
    The next week to ten days should be pretty damned good.

2 people like this.
  6. shroomsearcher

I went out the day after the last cold front went through. Nice cool day for hiking, unfortunately we got almost no rain out of that front. I checked every hen spot I know about, and a couple of spots where all I knew was that there were big, old oaks there. I found absolutely nothing. No hens, nor anything else that even resembled a mushroom! The creek that flows through the one spot is as low as I've ever seen it!

More rain forecast for tomorrow, and hopefully we get some. Maybe that with more seasonable temps will get things going. I'm not sure what the problem is, the lack of moisture, or the high temps we've had. Heck it was 92 here this past Monday!

7. Neecienee

Neecienee Morel Enthusiast

8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Neecienee, I think they taste similar to Shaggy manes. This dish is with chicken, onions & garlic with a light cream gravy, all over rice.
    IMGP0051.JPG

9. Kokomorel

Was out on Tuesday found nothing but puffballs

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    2 people like this.
  10. shroomsearcher

Don't know what the rainfall situation is with you, but if it's been anything like my experience that would be extremely odd. I would think that puffballs might take a lot of water to grow. We haven't had that around here, but I don't know how deep in the ground their mycelium lives. My sportsmens club can grow puffballs like nobody's business! I've found them there as big as watermelons, and pure white inside to out. Nothing doing so far this year.

1 person likes this.
  11. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am working 12 on Saturday and eight on Sunday but in honor of you I will make the trek to my "Hen Tree" and hope to give you a good report.
    In my teens I worked at a Country club, On the golf course during the day and
    in the kitchen at night.
    Found Puffballs during the day and prepared them in any way I could think
    of at night. Drakes batter in a cast iron skillet, Drakes with egg bath deep
    fried, also on a grill with butter and a whisp of garlic powder. I loved them
    all. Shroom on my friend

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Kokomorel likes this.
  12. mmh

C.W Lake, Have not heard from you lately. Any reports, ideas?

13. mmh

Jack, The pictures of your plates are always fantastic, when you describe all the ingredients I start to slobber on my shirt. Shroom on my friend

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  14. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I do as well Jack!.....

2 people like this.
  15. Kokomorel

On call this week so not much shrooming going on here hope to get out next week and hopefully find my first hen ever good luck to y’all

1 person likes this.
  16. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Here is the report. The hens are coming on strong. Iv'e found six this week that were not there last week. It's looking like a good late season flush. I still have many reliable trees that haven't produced yet. Get out there and getem! Its not too late!

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  17. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

MMH, if you would like some hens, let me know. I'd be happy to get rid of some. I drive right past Angola every day. PM me.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  18. mmh

C.W, Thanks for the offer, if I get skunked I will probably take you up on it. Shroom on my friend

19. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Morel Connoisseur

Hens are out strong 38 pounds from this morning, only stopped because I ran out bags. Get out there!!!

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  20. shroomsearcher

I will be in a few days. We finally got a significant rainfall, about 2", yesterday evening and overnight. First we've had in a while. maybe that will get things going around here! It's been really quiet so far this year.

1 person likes this.