Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good pics, but get a spore print. If you don't know how to do that, just Google "mushroom spore prints" to show you how. If you get the right color, verified by either reporting it back here or looking at a site like "mushroomexpert.com", fry up a tiny little bit of it, and eat it. Sit back and check for reactions. It's advisable to not drink alcoholic beverages at the time, since alcohol can accentuate a negative reaction.

There is no such thing as being "too careful" when eating wild mushrooms for the first time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
View attachment 23692 View attachment 23694 Had a great morning deer hunting went out in the afternoon shrooming still no luck with the hens must of checked 50 oak trees anyone finding hens close to Kokomo
We are at a slightly higher latitude with similar weather conditions and the hens have not hatched yet.
There was an early flush in a few spots, but the hot weather shut the door on that. Ain't climate change grand?
Two or three days into this cold front should be a good time to look. Nice view from your stand, by the way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
We are at a slightly higher latitude with similar weather conditions and the hens have not hatched yet.
There was an early flush in a few spots, but the hot weather shut the door on that. Ain't climate change grand?
Two or three days into this cold front should be a good time to look. Nice view from your stand, by the way.
Thanks for the info hopefully the cold front will get the hens and the deer going

·
Registered
230 Posts
The hens are happening here.
We found a couple super fresh five-pounders today and a bunch that will be ready in 2-3 days.
That said some of our reliable spots are still not showing squat yet.
The next week to ten days should be pretty damned good.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I went out the day after the last cold front went through. Nice cool day for hiking, unfortunately we got almost no rain out of that front. I checked every hen spot I know about, and a couple of spots where all I knew was that there were big, old oaks there. I found absolutely nothing. No hens, nor anything else that even resembled a mushroom! The creek that flows through the one spot is as low as I've ever seen it!

More rain forecast for tomorrow, and hopefully we get some. Maybe that with more seasonable temps will get things going. I'm not sure what the problem is, the lack of moisture, or the high temps we've had. Heck it was 92 here this past Monday!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Was out on Tuesday found nothing but puffballs
Don't know what the rainfall situation is with you, but if it's been anything like my experience that would be extremely odd. I would think that puffballs might take a lot of water to grow. We haven't had that around here, but I don't know how deep in the ground their mycelium lives. My sportsmens club can grow puffballs like nobody's business! I've found them there as big as watermelons, and pure white inside to out. Nothing doing so far this year.

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Was out on Tuesday found nothing but puffballs
I am working 12 on Saturday and eight on Sunday but in honor of you I will make the trek to my "Hen Tree" and hope to give you a good report.
In my teens I worked at a Country club, On the golf course during the day and
in the kitchen at night.
Found Puffballs during the day and prepared them in any way I could think
of at night. Drakes batter in a cast iron skillet, Drakes with egg bath deep
fried, also on a grill with butter and a whisp of garlic powder. I loved them
all. Shroom on my friend

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I am working 12 on Saturday and eight on Sunday but in honor of you I will make the trek to my "Hen Tree" and hope to give you a good report.
In my teens I worked at a Country club, On the golf course during the day and
in the kitchen at night.
Found Puffballs during the day and prepared them in any way I could think
of at night. Drakes batter in a cast iron skillet, Drakes with egg bath deep
fried, also on a grill with butter and a whisp of garlic powder. I loved them
all. Shroom on my friend
On call this week so not much shrooming going on here hope to get out next week and hopefully find my first hen ever good luck to y’all

·
Registered
149 Posts
C.W Lake, Have not heard from you lately. Any reports, ideas?
Here is the report. The hens are coming on strong. Iv'e found six this week that were not there last week. It's looking like a good late season flush. I still have many reliable trees that haven't produced yet. Get out there and getem! Its not too late!

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
MMH, if you would like some hens, let me know. I'd be happy to get rid of some. I drive right past Angola every day. PM me.
C.W, Thanks for the offer, if I get skunked I will probably take you up on it. Shroom on my friend

·
Registered
511 Posts
I will be in a few days. We finally got a significant rainfall, about 2", yesterday evening and overnight. First we've had in a while. maybe that will get things going around here! It's been really quiet so far this year.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts