Chapel Hill Morels

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Kidklug, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Kidklug

Kidklug Young Morel

IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1522.JPG After a week of searching with nothing. Finally, a good downpour of rain I found the first morels! The family is happy and our bellys are asking for more!

2. blueridge72

blueridge72 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for posting the pictures! I think you have to hunt pretty hard to find them around the triangle.... At least that's been the case for me. I'm hoping to have some luck this weekend though..

3. Kidklug

Kidklug Young Morel

Blueridge72, an luck!? I found these on my property and it usually the only place I look. Year after year I find them here, but this year I have been looking else where.

4. whitetailhunter

whitetailhunter Young Morel

I have basically given up I have been looking for the last 4 years and nothing.

5. whitetailhunter

whitetailhunter Young Morel

image.jpeg
    So while out hiking today not even looking I find my first NC mushroom. Found a total of three in a few miles of hiking.

Chefshoot2grill and Greenred like this.
  6. Madman

Madman Young Morel

Nice Job! That's what you're looking for. Where they be one, there be more Drop to the ground, Pray to the Mushroom Gods, and scan the forest floor as if you're the size of that morel. Eventually they'll pop out at you! Here's a couple shots from Saturday and Sunday of my Family's haul in Durham Co.

Attached Files:

Greenred and (deleted member) like this.
  7. blueridge72

blueridge72 Morel Enthusiast

I didn't have any luck at all... I checked a place north of Chapel Hill and another spot east of Pittsboro and came up empty handed. I won't give up though, I enjoy the hunt. :)

8. Madman

Madman Young Morel

Unless we get some decent rain in the next 10 days or so, that might be it for the large scale season. Maybe a straggler or two and maybe a few sporadic late bloomers here and there. Without rain, it doesn't matter where you look. The only exceptions would be some well drained soils near river/creek banks, or if you know where a natural spring is on a hill that happens to be in a forest conducive to growth. Good luck! If I can help, hit me up.

9. Greenred

Greenred Young Morel

10. Greenred

Greenred Young Morel

Check out around Falls Lake today only to find tax check out around falls lake today only to find ticks.

11. jfickle

jfickle Morel Enthusiast

Anyone think the rain we got today will help pop a few more? Or do you think it has gotten to warm? Found about a dozen two weeks ago but just haven't found a "good" spot yet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. Chefshoot2grill

Chefshoot2grill Young Morel

How late into the spring will they typically pop up in this area? I have found a bunch of other mushrooms here on deep creek in burlington/Haw River area but never Morels:/ yet! I know it's kinda late this year but I have seen people online posting finds in the Piedmont recently.

13. Madman

Madman Young Morel

In years past, the 2nd week in April is usually the cutoff point. I generally start looking first of March in the Piedmont. The latest I've ever seen them is the end of April, but that was following a cold winter and a very mild Spring. We're done here for the year. They've moved way up into Michigan by now. Gotta wait another year unfortunately.

14. Madman

Madman Young Morel

In years past, the 2nd week in April is usually the cutoff point. I generally start looking first of March in the Piedmont. The latest I've ever seen them is the end of April, but that was following a cold winter and a very mild Spring. We're done here for the year. They've moved way up into Michigan by now. Gotta wait another year unfortunately.

15. Chefshoot2grill

Chefshoot2grill Young Morel

Well theres a few people posting this weekend that they got quite a few around Charlotte. Thats why I was wondering bc I assumed it was over. Would love to get together with a few people next year, I hunt about 2500 acres of great land and would think we would find them somewhere! I just dont know where to look to shrink the target zone...ya know what I mean.