Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a thread for Chester county (SE Pa) in case anyone else is interested.

I went out this last weekend on Friday and Saturday for a total of about 3 hours and found nothing. I was searching south facing slopes under tulip poplars. Found 4 antler sheds though! Ha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out for an hour in Phoenixville area. They are starting
Hi Wilton! I'm in Phoenixville as well so that's good to know. I started morel hunting last year but with little kids + not much experience I'm a bit limited in my ability to search, so it's good to know what other people are seeing. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too funny, I just had my first (8 months old) and this is year 2 for me as well. I have yet to figure out a rhyme or reason as to my search methods. I seem to find them around more mature trees (we do have lots of poplars) in areas where sun gets through the canopy but does not directly hit the morels. I find them on North side of property woods that get morning sun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out today for a couple hours and found two morels. One big yellow and one very small black that was already starting to get soft. Not exactly a bonanza.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still no Morels in my spots. Came home with ramps and spring onions though. Every step in the woods today was "crunchy" even after yesterdays rain. I feel like it's still too dry View attachment 5756
Hi Wilton. I've never picked ramps. What areas do you typically find them...woods, fields, types of trees, etc? Thanks in advance.
-Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Wilton. I've never picked ramps. What areas do you typically find them...woods, fields, types of trees, etc? Thanks in advance.
-Bob
Found in 3 places all directly on border between woods and clearing. All were in predominantly shaded areas even with the still open canopy. Trees in proximity were mixed, walnut, poplar, beech and oak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts