Colorado Morels 2018

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by hstlrussell, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Morel Enthusiast

Figured i'd start a thread dedicated for the season, i dont even think we're a full 4 weeks out until the first CO morel. my target date for my first are April 2-April 6, i cant help but feel they'll be up somewhere in this ecologically diverse state by then.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Joyful likes this.
  2. River pimp

River pimp Young Morel

i just moved down from montana. Im an avid mushroom forager. Do morels usually pop here in mid april? Amd what does the inner city look.lile for morel hunting.. and are thee any hen of the woods here?

3. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I used to live in Woodland Park and CO was a tough place for morels. Cotton woods seamed to be a good host tree. Only ones I ever found we're close to base of mt. Antero

T tom likes this.
  4. hstlrussell

RP- same burn morels that you have in MT. yours might be a hair bigger though, judging by the pictures i've seen. same lowland cottonwood morels that you might find in southern MT or the midwest. the season usually gets kicked off in mid april with the cottonwood-related-morels between 5k-6k. just look for really f'ing big cottonwoods, or ones that have just died. elevation is the real game in co. usually it takes until late may, early june, to find them anywhere above 7500, and naturals are a good bit harder to come by than the early season esculenta/crassipes/esculantoides(???) or the burn morels. the best bet for naturals is to look along logging trails. Burn morels usually start around the same time in may, but usually occur at higher elevations, such that you can chase them into july. i havent heard of any september/october morels here like i have in montana, though. porcinis here are a dime a dozen, however; and in the best way possible. around late july, early august, we get a distinct monsoon season, with drenching rains almost every day in the afternoons for a few hours. there are chanterelles, sarcodon, oysters, and porcini a plenty to find in the mornings and late evenings. like. literally everywhere. like out of a movie. everywhere. hen of the woods pop some in august, too, along with hericium species and hypomyces. russulae species are also ubiquitous. truffles and matsutakes also fruit throughout the late season. there are not many city mushrooms that you'd want to eat. our homeless population is intense, our irrigation systems very slight, and dog numbers are high in urban settings. that said, there are some parks with good ecosystems for mushrooms, even morels. the ones you want are state parks, if you're looking to stay close. many trails and local parks become havens for the homeless, where state parks are more patrolled. largely for morels and porcini (the cash crop of co fungi), you want to be within a few hundred feet of water, unless you're in a burn.

5. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Hey west slopers, anyone filling bags yet? Rumor has it there was a ton of rain last week and I’m headed home after a two month hiadious and have the itch.

Joyful and hstlrussell like this.
  6. hstlrussell

i have already found a few near denver. western slope must be popping hard, i just can't get the time off to get there.

Joyful likes this.
  7. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Good to hear, minus the snow this morning it is way greener here there were I was. Might try to slip out this afternoon and give it a go.

8. Bevo123

Bevo123 Young Morel

I am a new morel hunter living in Denver and would appreciate any general advice regarding locations within an hour or so from here. Looking to take my 9 yo son with me, thinking it might be a good outdoor experience for him. Thanks!

9. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Our season is starting 2.5 weeks late here in Kentucky.

We just now started finding them over the last weekend.

I have never been to Colorado but we are at roughly the same latitude. I am guessing that if you guys have had decent weather, that this coming weekend would be a perfect time to "roll a joint" and hit the woods.

Just don't smoke in the woods, smokey the bear needs your help preventing Forrest fires.

All jokes aside,
    Best of luck

T tom likes this.
  10. hstlrussell

ours was definitely early in beginning on the 15th, but not that early, and i'm wondering what this snowstorm has done to everything since it lasted more than 36 hours. i can't get out until friday morning so im hoping the first blacks aren't starting their downswing.
    how did saturday go, jparr?

11. mr. fungi

mr. fungi Young Morel

Hello out there! Im new here, as well as to morels. Last year I spent countless hours hunting the notorious fungi, without ever finding the elusive beast. On my adventures i came across numerous other types of mushrooms so it wasn't a waste of time by any means. Over the past year I've studied up on Colorado morels (the little information out there) as well as morels across the country. Ive been out every other day since the first week of april and have not had any luck yet. Yesterday I came across a bunch of Inky caps by the poudre which makes me think the environment is good for fungi-fruit growth. I live in Laporte near fort collins and would love to go on a foray if anyone on here lives near! If anyone has any more advice on what to look for around these parts it would be greatly appreciated!!! Best of luck to all

12. hstlrussell

read up on forage colorado on facebook. pretty decent reference and he lives near FoCo im pretty sure.

13. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

High and dry over here on the west side. Slow start my low spots are crisp and thinking I either missed the desert season or it was to dry. Looked in a lower burn think it was couple days early. Hitting a fir stand tomorrow. Will up date when done. Hope we get some moisture otherwise it’s going to be tough

Valerie Blank-Jaquith likes this.
  14. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Try two decent night but not great couple pounds very dry out

Attached Files:

Joyful likes this.
  15. hstlrussell

wait. what elevation are you finding blacks at now? i've started finding the yellows for the season, but not more than a half pound, and a lot of the more popular spots are too dry; i'd love to start the creep into elevation...

16. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

First try at 8000 feet, think I missed my early yellow spots. That and the drought is messing with some of my spots. Early snow off has stuff a week or more early best I can tell in the middle elevations.

17. hstlrussell

oh shoot okay, i better start scramblin here soon. i found a lot of massive dead morels towards the end of may last year, so i think they fruited early to mid may for sure. the yellows are just now flushing in a lot of spots down here though, so maybe there is still some potential if we get moisture soon?

18. hstlrussell

upload_2018-5-11_12-17-7.png

6 oz, stipe alone weighs 42g.
    found 5/10/18

19. Bluewater_Sailor

Bluewater_Sailor Morel Enthusiast

Holy... moly. That's a monster.

Congrats on finding it!

20. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

I have mushroom envy!! Have you got into the blacks yet or still hammering away at the yellows.