Colorado Morels 2019

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by hstlrussell, Apr 2, 2019.

1. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Morel Enthusiast

This is the thread for 2019 Morels here in CO. Shouldn't be more than a week or two from our first blacks.

2. Taymad97

Taymad97 Young Morel

So excited to hunt Colorado this year! Missed it by a week or so last year, as I was only visiting but this year I'll be a full time resident!

1 person likes this.

3. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Oh say there ya know, have fun & enjoy. Good luck.

4. DNance

DNance Morel Enthusiast

having Moved here from Texas I am at a loss as to when to start looking. I’m sure elevation plays a big key as to when the season starts but if anyone would like to provide some insight to a non native it would be greatly appreciated. Colorado Springs area but love a road trip. Just wondering when to start and if there is a certain elevation to start with.

5. hstlrussell

For the next few weeks youre going to want to spend your time alongside rivers in the hallmark cottonwoods that line almost every lowland river in eastern colorado. Doesnt narrow it down much. Look for lots of grass in the area, oregon grape flowering, lilacs and cherry blossoms in bloom. You cant go wrong, it just might take some walking

DNance and Taymad97 like this.
  6. hstlrussell

Look up forage colorado for different types of morel guides here in co

Rainbowitch and Taymad97 like this.
  7. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

Gonna be there next week for some hiking and spring mushroom foraging before a Red Rocks show Friday. Is it still too early for burn morels, and just river bottom M. americana are out under cottonwoods?

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  8. rumpleforeskin

rumpleforeskin Morel Enthusiast

Best of luck. This is my third spring out here. I’ve looked Under cottonwoods in river bottoms to no avail. The landscape is overwhelmingly huge and no one out here knows what Morels are let alone where to find them.

The brush and undergrowth is several feet thick under the cottonwood stands adding to the difficulty.

The Bolete is king out here (perfect pun). There are several different species and they stick out like a sore thumb. I have found some Aspen Bolete’s.

If you find Morels, please let me know. I have lost all hope. I know they are here, just not sure where.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  9. hstlrussell

dunno what a river bottom is, but just look in dying cottonwoods within 100 feet of a river. i have found yellows in tons of different places. blacks exist through the lowlands in the same environments too, but are all but gone at this point. burn morels will start the last week of May at elevation, yellows should be flushing by now/soon.

I'm surprised you eat the aspen boletes, theyre less flavorful and equally wormy as Boletus Rubriceps. I have never found a Bolete without a fungal worm. if you do; you're not looking hard enough. i typically don't even forage for the Boletecaeaee family.

10. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Howdy to all ya Good folks in Colorado this Morning....Wade here..from Monroe county Indiana.
    How is your Spam lookin Today.
    i think i have it all cleaned up!
    Thank You

11. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Hey all, just checking in have recently moved out of state but gave some of my spots away to friends so thought I'd post a friendly FYI to the west slopers that are struggling. Reports I'm getting is shaping up to be a banner year in the white fir and recent burn areas. The lower spots in the Montrose and Ouray areas are prime time right now(Coming to a close soon). within the next two weeks I highly recommend heading to the hills as the roads open, the south slopes will be almost past soon but the flats and north faces should be producing huge numbers within the bull draw, Plateau, 416 fires and several on the White River NF. I can offer more advise for those that want it.

Neilly and Keara like this.
  12. Keara

Keara Young Morel

13. Keara

Keara Young Morel

Hi, I just moved to GJ last fall from NM, and while I understand about the burns, do you mean to look for morels in White Fir that has not been burned?

14. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Yes look for stands that were hit by bugs recently with no fire same goes for pine also logging units and activity piles and skid roads. They all produce

15. Keara

Keara Young Morel

Hey there, thanks so much for the advice! Looking forward to beginning my hunt this weekend!

16. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Just a heads up I’m in town for work and was on the unc national forest yesterday June 6th and picked two pounds fresh popped few dry and I wasn’t out looking for them.

17. Mountainsal

Mountainsal Young Morel

What is "unc national forest" Do you mean the Uncompragre? I have been walking river banks and slash cut areas on Grand Mesa to no avail.

18. Neilly

Neilly Young Morel

Hey there. I am visiting a friend in Evergreen but grew up in the Midwest hunting morels there. Any ideas on local areas or spots to try here? Thanks in advance.

19. MushrooMama27

MushrooMama27 Young Morel

What was your elevation? Air temp? Ground temp? Habitat? I was just up on the Uncompahgre Plateau yesterday and found nothing.

20. 4yuks

4yuks Morel Enthusiast

Was at about 10000’ on the eastern slope, backside of Pikes Peak, 6/20 and 21. Found a hillside with a number of blooming Calypso orchids. Supposedly indicates right habitat and timing for morels, but I didn’t see any mushrooms, let alone morels.

Too late, do you think? Any ideas appreciated. I live in Colorado Springs, and have never had much success finding morels around here.

Attached Files: