Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same here. I found a ton of baby tulips and yellows last monday-tuesday. No bigger than my pinky. went back saturday and they were gone. All of the small to medium size yellows were dried up. I dont know how much this rain the next couple days will help? I am hoping we get another flush, but who knows???

·
Registered
22 Posts
i found 20 blond in capon bridge WV on April 28 small then just last week found two more it was may 1st that's in Hampshire county .. and it just rained so off we go on may 8th.. good hunting every one...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Went back to my spot today after the rain and managed to find 15 or so fresh yellows of nice size. All those that I had left, however, were not there. I really don't think anyone picked 'em cause they were just too small and it was too dry 5 days ago. But, it is a public spot (albeit remote) so ya just never know. I'm thinking this rain will do wonders.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Morelsxs- Good news there. What county are you in? I was thinking this rain would get the yellows popping. I had the same experience as you, left babies a week a go and they dried up and disappeared. I'm anxious to get out this weekend, and were supposed to get another 1+ inches of rain tomorrow! Should be a good week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
<span style="font-family: Verdana"> I'm across the line in Fayette County, PA. That spot was in Preston County but same situation in Monongalia although Monongalia is looking better. Headed back tomorrow. We got some rain but definitely need more. Hope the weekend proves fruitful. </span>

·
Registered
22 Posts
ya it just rained all night so here we go .. Hampshire county capon bridge.. if i find some will post.. may 11 so every one get out there and in joy the grate out doors ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went to Lewis county yesterday found one large yellow that had dried up beyond saving and another yellow that was molded over. In an area where we had found some previously this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I believe the western hills are bout done for the year, i can't speak for the mountain counties where I'm going to get up to next week. Overall, I think the area here around Harrison Co wasn't the best. Low humidity at night plus the flux in night temps kept things from really going off. Still i found my share, but even though conditions were poor last year, I actually did better. Still no complaints from this guy as g. chanterelles are not far off followed by the sulphur shelves ... Hope you all had an enjoyable season and thanks for the posts on here...

“<em>Dreams encompassing the arise of a morel may awake you with a smile, but the actuality of being blessed with this fleeting fortune truly makes life worthwhile.</em>”

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree Amanita.

Where are you going to be in the mountains? I'm headed up that way this weekend and next. I have a place east of Elkins, hoping to find some up that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@ MBD, I'm headin up to Shavers tomorrow to catch a few stocked chubs and next week Im probably camping down at the low gate down on Glady. Im thinkin about checking out some poplars at Stewart's Park for a little bit tomorrow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
haha....man we must think alike. I have a place on Shaver's on Faulkner, I also hate stocked chubs, and I usually hunt for them in Stuarts. You should email me at [email protected]

I've got some good honey holes for Chanterelles up that way and I have 20 acres of private property I own on Bickles Knob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hello all again for another hopeful bountiful season of Earthy bliss. @ MBD, i had totally forgot about the invite you put out, i was studying for board exams starting around this time last year, but i now live in elkins MBD.

Variables are starting to come together. the night time temps have been lackluster thus far and still a bit early. Mayapples are not up and poplar leaves are just beginning to show themselves in Harrison Co. i know for a fact that the drainage ditch blacks have started and the grey/ little yellows should be along anytime for this area. For Randolph Co and Tucker Co, best time to start up here is in 1st-2nd week of May as i have found large yellows up in this area clear into the second week of June. I will begin my quest this weekend at my coveted sycamore patch in Harrison co after the ramp fest in elkins this weekend. It should be a good year, just need some patience..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
yeah, there poppin like crazy. a colleague's daughter just showed me a pic which she harvested 105 blacks on saturday in barbour co. she is up to over 400 in the past two weeks now. I have had a severe sprain ankle and just got off crutches yesterday, my gimp ass is going out in a bit despite the cold night. just to let you all know, their here abundantly !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I shot you an email Amanita.

I've been out to all my spots and found a grand total of 4 so far. Granted, the places I hunt are more greys and tulips, but I still havent found much.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts