Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any luck up that way guys? I have to work tomorrow but Sat. and Sun. I am woods bound. Sat. im going on the new land, But Sunday mom wants to go with me... lol should be a good trip... She has not been morel hunting for 6 years. But I know where they are so its just a good walk in the woods with mammy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found 5 more nice blacks yesterday up on the ridge and saw several baby greys about a half inch tall poking through. I decided to head out and let them grow up with the rain today and warmer temps over the weekend. I'll probably check on them on sunday. I figure that greys and yellows will start showing up this weekend depending on slopes, canopy, location on how big they already are.

They're finally here....

·
Registered
22 Posts
to all my morel friends be safe have fun lets see some pic it just rained so hew haw time to go pick... i have been finding blonds by the creek... Hampshire county ... :cool: :mrgreen: :-D :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
25 gray and yellows found at an urban park in Charleston, WV Kanawha Co. Mostly in among sycamore and sweet gum saplings <15 years old. New local spot for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not much luck today on the new land. Found 3 yellows and 1 grey, Gave them to the land owner for use of his land. He seemed happy to get them. Off tomorrow with mom to my early spots...Good luck to all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Harrison Co is on. very good day. if not for my bummed ankle, woulda even been better. Found all medium greys at my sycamore stand and pretty yellows at my other spot across town, then the ankle started to give out. this week will be amazing as it is suppose to rain Mon-Wed w/ night time temps in the mid 50's. Now I'm ready for the jumbo yellows to stuff w/ crab meat. Tis the season.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice ama. I went out with mom yesterday we didn't find anything until on our way out of the woods. stopped at one of my early yellow spots, pulled back some leaves and 4 tiny yellows along a old popular log, recovered them and left. Mom asked how did you know they were there? I answered because that log gives me about 10 shrooms a year lol.
No skillet filler of a day but we had fun just walking around and talking, so we set it up for nxt sunday as well.
Weather is looking great for this week, rain + warmth = mushrooms. Best of luck everyone!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ditto on the weather. I'll put in a good couple days straight of hunting once the rains subside.

On another note, I've been experimenting the last few years with a patch of woods that I know produce 50-100 yellows every year. 3 years ago I was whacking my way through the patch and cut through several grape vines with my machete. I came back the next week and found flushes directly under the grape vines i had cut. The vines had saturated the ground where the water in the vines was dripping to the ground. The morels grew right out from that pool of water/liquid from the vines. So the last two years, I've waited witl the greys are starting and I'll go slice into the grape vines and sure enough, a week or two later I'll have morels right under the vines. I dont know if it's a coincedence, or if something it actually happening. with the vines/moisture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone,
This is my first post but I have been following your posts, very helpful, THANKS. This is my first season hunting for morels and found my first today, 18 greys along a drainage ditch with a dying elm in Marion county WV. Good luck to all. I would attach a phot but don't know how, any help would be appreciated.<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> </span>

·
Registered
113 Posts
rotorhead, you can post pics here through photo bucket and a couple other sites. Just look in the FAQs for complete instructions. its as easy as copy and paste. happy hunting to all

·
Registered
24 Posts
found approx 100 today..Kanawha Co. WV. mostly yellows and greys, left another 100 in the wood, just too small, will return next week to gobble them up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys new to the site .......help me please, I've been looking for Molly moochers for a few springs now. But due to being out of work with a back injury I have put in more time this spring than ever. I can't find any not one! I've began to think there's none on this farm. I've looked around poplar, ash, elm, oak,both dead and alive. North , south, east and west sides.......I am in Mason Co. Half a mile from the kanawaha river.......am I early? .......help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi reckless 1,
Don't feel bad, this is my first year as well. Today I walked for 3 hrs and found 3 yellows so I feel your pain. Keep looking, you'll find'em.
Hey Midmented and Brian, AWESOME finds. Would you care to share a little info on what habitat your finding them in? Any help would be appreciated. Take care, and good luck!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
another impressive day in Harrison Co. My sycamore patch cont's to produce really well. 40 today and all but 3 the size of coke cans.....

And MBD, i think your on to something bud. where my sycs are at, there are also lots of grape vines, sure enough it is where i found the bulk of them today.... very interesting...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finely filled a skillet... Found 32 small yellows last night, and 11 nice size but only 1 grey and 0 blacks. I picked the grey and 11 yellows, left the rest to mature. Tis the season. happy hunting to all.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts