Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
May 2 was best day i had so far in Jefferson County, found bread sack bag full not many where big but i take whatever i find.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same here guys. Went out to a few spots, found a few smaller ones that were dry. Not looking good either. Highs close to 90 with not much rain in sight. I believe the end has come.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yup, The season has almost come to an end. Stopped in my late bloomers area last night and found 17 more, of those only 3 were fresh and the rest had dry tips. If you know of any steep, deep, dark holler's you best hit them soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 1 more spot to check tomorrow, It's a deep-deep valley with a waterfall about half way up it. That's where I find my latest yellows, I hope some are up in there, found 32 there last year over a week after all my other spots dried out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's about to be poppin!!! The destroying angel has awoke!!! It boils down to: micro-ecology (species, the magic # of 53, may apples, emergence of tulip-pop leaves, and some other favorite little secret hints). Drainage ditch blacks in sandy-loam soil and/or old coal slabs are out, but only the Coke can greys and yellows will due!! Follow that recipe and enjoy!!! Happy Hunting!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm trying to stay patient. Every year is different and this year is the same. People finding all types of morels at weird times in weird little micro climates. All I can do is keep watching my woods and get the timing right on them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was wondering that myself. I would like to think that the really small ones that are under the leaves or haven't poked through the soil yet will be fine. Now the ones that are already through the leaf litter may be frost-bitten. When that happens, you'll see a dead brown spot, then they kind've grow deformed. They are still salvageable if they happen to grow after being frost bitten. I just hope we see some consistent night time temps here soon. I can handle the 50s during the day, but it's calling for lows in the 20s 4 out of the next 5 nights. It's forecasted to be 23 next Saturday night. The season looked like it was going to be on a few weeks ago, now it's like everything is ready and we're seeing a few morels come to fruit because of all the warm weather we've had. Looks like consistent highs and lows wont be here til around April 11.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally found one in Morgantown today. I Was happy to see the snow and freeze had not damaged it. Hopefully, it's about to start!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow that's great, the rest of us are struggling to find 1 and you find 185! Do you care to share habitat and elevation? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spent another full day searching all of my spots and some new in Mon county, nothing! Without any rain I'm afraid this season is over before it begins.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts