Come on, tell me who is finding them ~ How many and what county

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by amanita, Apr 16, 2013.

1. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Well that was interesting. Got a new PC this year and lost my password here, For the last 2 weeks the page told me it is not sure if I was human!!! Same thing dad used to tell me but I'm almost certain he was joking and this thing was not lol. Back on subject... Found about 15 greys and yellows Wednesday all in creek bottoms. The ground is a little dry on top but plenty of moisture under the first inch in my areas. Gonna hit the woods in a few HRS. and see what else is up.

2. rizzo68

rizzo68 Young Morel

Just curious if anyone finds these in or near Marshall County? I grew up there but knew nothing about morels then. Happy Hunting!

3. kosciuskomo

kosciuskomo Morel Enthusiast

Not even looking here yet. When the redbuds bloom, the blacks will be up, when the lilacs bloom, the yellows will be up. We are getting pretty dry here in kosciusko co. Need some good soaking rain. Good luck all.

4. brian

brian Morel Enthusiast

found 14-15 small yellows, nearly dried out. usually i wouldn't pick them that small, but, with the forecast of no rain, and the current dry pattern, i figured they wouldn't be there when i returned next weekend. im afraid the season in this region..."kanawha co" wont last long or be very good due to the dry conditions were facing and expecting the next 5-7 days...were already 2-3" of rain below average for the year...thats not good.

5. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Same here Brian. My neck of the woods it seems like a short season with low numbers. I found a decent flush in my woods last Wednesday that were fresh but dry. Hopefully the soil temps can stay down long enough for this rain mid week and get some more up out of the ground.

6. morelkingz

morelkingz Morel Enthusiast

https://instagram.com/p/BESNQkbK8gn/ Follow me and tag me in the photo and I'll post it on my account

7. amanita rubescens

amanita rubescens Morel Enthusiast

MBD and PBWV, good to see ya again for another season!!! For anyone coming on here and saying season is done before it gets started, you don't know WV morels very well! Found 55 last Friday... This weekend is shaping into to be the Holy Grail from the triangle of I79 Weston to Parkersburg to Mon county... Mountain counties like Randolph and Tucker, the blacks are going to be plentiful and many if not this weekend the following week!! Happy Hunting all.....

8. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Good to see you guys too! I was wondering where PBWV was.

I hope you're right Amanita. I found some early fruiters last Thursday (40+) and its dry now. That was on my Sunny sides. I checked the shady sides and nothing had fruited yet, so I'm hoping this hot weather and rain coming Thursday gets them going.

9. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Just looked back at the weather for my area. Over the last 40 days we've had 2.5" of rain and temps that have been extremely dramatic. All of that has led to a very sub par year and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better.

10. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Good to see you guy's as well. The rain is falling here in Parkersburg, With the temps being what they have been and the forecast for next week is not any cooler. this may be the first and last weekend for a flush. Found 8 last Sunday, already drying on the tops. My blacks started to pop before the last snow and nothing since, the 20 some I have found so far have been all yellows and greys in flood zone bottoms that are normally too wet to walk on this time of year. Happy hunting and best of luck to everyone...

11. sonup

sonup Morel Enthusiast

It's raining here in Monroe County, and with temps expected in the 50's tonight this weekend should be the best time to find Morels. Will check back in after the hunt if we find any.

12. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I hit some pretty good areas Tuesday 5 pounds total yellows, seen about 2 pounds already black and squishy. Having the same prob with photo bucket as this site earlier"can't remember the password lol". Going to hit some other areas this afternoon.

13. happyhuntr

happyhuntr Morel Enthusiast

Anyone have any luck around Northfork, McDowell County?

14. sonup

sonup Morel Enthusiast

We found about 5 lbs. in Monroe County, near Salt Sulpher Springs on my property, found them last week after the first rains stopped. Hoping to find more on my next trip up either today or tomorrow. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  15. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

HappyHuntr- I'd say you're about 3 weeks too late for that area. I live in NCWV and my woods have been finished up for a few weeks now.

16. sonup

sonup Morel Enthusiast

I thought it was too late last week when I pulled out 4 lbs. but my area has a lot of late bloomers, heck, I'm still pulling ramps. Must be the secluded valley we live in??

17. happyhuntr

happyhuntr Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the info all. I figured with the rains it would trigger another flush. I may get out and look for Ramps anyway.

18. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

SonUp- Here in the flat lands of NCWV we're finished up. I figure there may be a random flush here or there, but for the most part done. HappyHuntR said he was down in McDowell and I would guess they've been done for quite a while longer than we have up North. I know a few guys in the mountains and EP have been finding a few, but for the most part the big flushes are finished up.

I would bet everything I own on there not being a morel worth picking in Harrison County right now.

19. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

W.Virgina, mushroomer's. We got ya in our thoughts, prayers,ect.... - concerning the nasty flooding goin on. Hang tough!! You all take care of each other now.