Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
XsXm008 - I've never found any in the Cook County area, but have been more successful in other parts of the state. If you check out other Illinois message boards, you should get a good idea what to look for. Keep an eye on the southern part of the state, and expect the Chicagoland area to be two-three weeks behind them. You also have to consider the possible effect of road salt (which kills fungi mycelium) in areas where you look. When conditions are right, I would expect black and grays first, maybe around April 18, followed by yellers a week or so later. I will be looking in local forest preserves myself - purely for observatory reasons, of course, not to pick - but am expecting to find better results in more distant locations. Good Luck !

· Registered
5 Posts
BTW, XsXm008, I would be leery about anything you find at a dog park. I found some great, though slightly over the hill hen of the woods at an Elgin park a few years ago, at the base of some trees,and quite a few of them all around. Was just about to pick them, figured the centers would be OK - and then I noticed a dog on a leash lifting his leg right against the base of another tree. Noticed that there were four other people airing their dogs. I just let them be, and chalked it up to experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.