1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Cook, DuPage, Will Co

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by metal, Apr 27, 2013.

1. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

Me and Jaybo checked some early spots today in DuPage/Cook county. We are still a week away. The ground is perfect and its gonna be anyday now. Some rain and warm temps comin in starting sunday into next week should get things moving along.

2. dwak

dwak Morel Enthusiast

May apples just started popping up here in Kane Co.

3. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

Really Dwak, cause all the Mayapples around that I see are at least 6-8'' already.

4. dwak

dwak Morel Enthusiast

Only ones I've seen so far haven't even unfolded their leaves yet. Only seen 3 dandelions so far too. I'm in St. Charles

5. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

Thats surprising? Dandy's just popped open yesterday around here. Day before there was no yellow to be seen, now the lawns are full of yellow. I saw a lot of mayapples today that were 6 + inches already. I'm hoping by wednesday I find my first baby. I'm in Will county, but hunt mainly in DuPage/Cook.

6. botr

botr Morel Enthusiast

Will county here also. Heading south about 40 miles tomorrow to take a look around. Im betting on next weekend being good.

7. dang

dang Morel Enthusiast

I live in North West Indiana but hunt Will county. The dandelions are up in force here but in Will they are hardly there, and the lilacs haven't popped yet.

8. masonrymaster

masonrymaster Morel Enthusiast

just found over 300 1/2 frees in east central grundy on a northwest facing hill, get ready cause this week it will be boomin.

9. randypedigo

randypedigo Morel Enthusiast

what is a half free?

10. millertime69

millertime69 Morel Enthusiast

@Randy, its a peckerhead, there are pics on photos page

11. tkintel80

tkintel80 Young Morel

Masonrymaster- Nice! I learned something new also Randy, I hadn't heard of .5 trees- heard of peckerhead or foxglove before.

12. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

I dont waste my time on half frees. I see a ton of them every spring, but its mostly a big stem your picking. I've heard they're pretty good, but I prefer the big yellows and greys. I have my fingers crossed that I will find my first little patch by wednesday. The quality though is still a week or so away. Next weekend maybe.... Please don't litter

13. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

Any of you Will County shroomers do any good along the DesPlaines River in and around the forest preserves? My neighbor brought me to a spot last year and there were a ton of huge dead Elms, but it was so friggin dry, that it was a lost cause.

14. botr

botr Morel Enthusiast

Got the skunk along the Kankakee river today. Still think we are a week or 2 out.

15. morchellaholic

morchellaholic Morel Enthusiast

Found four Grey Friday and five more today. Friday southern will county, today Grundy county near the Kankakee.
    Starting slow but they are up fellas.

16. cjake042

cjake042 Young Morel

Went out yesterday after work to a place that I've gone for the last 3 years (Northern Cook County Forest Preserve). Found one small grey. I'm thinking this weekend into next week it will start getting better.

17. cjake042

cjake042 Young Morel

Went out again tonight for 2 hours...9 more about1 to 3 inches tall. Think I'm going to wait until the weekend (supposed to rain and get a little cooler Thursday and Friday).

18. botr

botr Morel Enthusiast

Nothing but ticks for me so far. Cook / Will / NW Indiana.

19. herpin1579

herpin1579 Young Morel

Just an FYI, I checked some areas in will and stumbled upon some trail cameras setup facing spots on the creek that you can get across. They were labeled FPDWC. Remember the rules in forest preserved and stay safe!

20. herpin1579

herpin1579 Young Morel

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017