Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Jaybo checked some early spots today in DuPage/Cook county. We are still a week away. The ground is perfect and its gonna be anyday now. Some rain and warm temps comin in starting sunday into next week should get things moving along.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Only ones I've seen so far haven't even unfolded their leaves yet. Only seen 3 dandelions so far too. I'm in St. Charles

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats surprising? Dandy's just popped open yesterday around here. Day before there was no yellow to be seen, now the lawns are full of yellow. I saw a lot of mayapples today that were 6 + inches already. I'm hoping by wednesday I find my first baby. I'm in Will county, but hunt mainly in DuPage/Cook.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will county here also. Heading south about 40 miles tomorrow to take a look around. Im betting on next weekend being good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in North West Indiana but hunt Will county. The dandelions are up in force here but in Will they are hardly there, and the lilacs haven't popped yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont waste my time on half frees. I see a ton of them every spring, but its mostly a big stem your picking. I've heard they're pretty good, but I prefer the big yellows and greys. I have my fingers crossed that I will find my first little patch by wednesday. The quality though is still a week or so away. Next weekend maybe.... Please don't litter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any of you Will County shroomers do any good along the DesPlaines River in and around the forest preserves? My neighbor brought me to a spot last year and there were a ton of huge dead Elms, but it was so friggin dry, that it was a lost cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went out yesterday after work to a place that I've gone for the last 3 years (Northern Cook County Forest Preserve). Found one small grey. I'm thinking this weekend into next week it will start getting better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went out again tonight for 2 hours...9 more about1 to 3 inches tall. Think I'm going to wait until the weekend (supposed to rain and get a little cooler Thursday and Friday).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an FYI, I checked some areas in will and stumbled upon some trail cameras setup facing spots on the creek that you can get across. They were labeled FPDWC. Remember the rules in forest preserved and stay safe!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts