Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fungus muncher if you don't mind me asking what types of areas are you looking for when you are finding trumpets I keep an eye out sometimes when I'm out looking for shrooms but I can only seem to find one or two here and there never got enough for a mouth full even I have no problem with the others that I hunt but trumpets seem to shoot me down every time I've looked for them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find the most black trumpets in black oak dominated forest. One spot is neverending terraces with lots of moss and rocks. They pop on the tops of the terraces and all around the sides. Also when in oak dominated forest look for clearings in the forest duff where water clears leaves away like in temporary washes. With less resistance they sometimes pop up in full on craterellus carpets. Any nice hillsides where a fallen limb or tree may damn up the leaves is a good spot to look. Always check the edges of rocks, vegetation or other debris that might provide a nice microclimate or hold moisture. I also find them in Beech stands but never in significant numbers. Good luck they are a delicious treat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This fall is looking pretty good. Have to get out and check some matsutake spots soon.

View attachment 11498 View attachment 11500 View attachment 11502 View attachment 11504 View attachment 11496
that white stuff is the shrimp of the woods right? how big do these things tend to bloom out? id guess that the one pictured are about quarter sized balls and a foot long? ive seen prob all but the morels in my life fishing and hiking just never knew it was edible. told as a kid that all the mushrooms are poisonous and not to touch lol whats nice is at my parents place in the backyard under a 4 foot diameter oak a hen of the woods the size of a bowling ball grew every year. I believe they said it was edible but then plucked it that year so I wouldn't try to. was only like 12 I think

1 - 12 of 12 Posts