Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
How’s the deer movement in your woods
I have seen deer out quite a bit in the mornings driving to work. Saw a doe and 2 yearlings today that I have been seeing all summer. I drive through an area just south of I-70 and the airport. Most of the area is in an urban deer zone, but I don't have any spots I can hunt.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have seen deer out quite a bit in the mornings driving to work. Saw a doe and 2 yearlings today that I have been seeing all summer. I drive through an area just south of I-70 and the airport. Most of the area is in an urban deer zone, but I don't have any spots I can hunt.
Lots of deer in the fields last night seen 6 does and 4 bucks have not seen the big boy again let

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Gutterman and Jashroomer how’s the season going for you been a good year for me so far

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not good for me at all. Been out 5 times. Haven’t even gotten one deer yet. Usually get 2-3+ every season. Have had a lot going on around home here so not out as much as I’d like this year. Gun week just finished. There’s a two day gun hunt weekend right before Christmas then 4 days of muzzleloader first week of January. I’ll be out trying to fill a tag or two then hopefully. If not we have until feb to hunt with bow so I’ve got some time yet. How about you Koko? Putting the meat in the freezer? This is stockpile of burgers from last year gun week 112 1/2” thick burgers. Makes me sad I’m sitting on empty now lol

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well so far not so good. Haven't seen any big bucks, at least while hunting, and have had 2 misfires with my muzzleloader. Have had this issue for 2 years now off and on. The cap fires and gun fires, but the slug and Pyrodex pellets exit the barrel with little velocity, usually with one or both of the Pyrodex pellets still somewhat intact and flaming, looks just like a roman candle going off. I'm pretty sure one shot last year, the slug hit the doe, knocked her over, but didn't penetrate at all, bounced off like a rubber bullet.
So bought new pellets, a thorough cleaning, and hoping for some luck here late in the season.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use the blue mz or the (preferred but sold out a lot) white hots usually with my muzzleloader. Remington 209 primers are always what I use as well. Never had any trouble with that combo. Used to use CVA wolf base muzzleloader and always did well thru it. Now using CVA optima v2 with the primer going in the break barrel. Way easier to get primers in and out for reloads. Very impressed with it so far. The wolf I had went in side chamber and pain in a**. Good luck rest of season.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well so far not so good. Haven't seen any big bucks, at least while hunting, and have had 2 misfires with my muzzleloader. Have had this issue for 2 years now off and on. The cap fires and gun fires, but the slug and Pyrodex pellets exit the barrel with little velocity, usually with one or both of the Pyrodex pellets still somewhat intact and flaming, looks just like a roman candle going off. I'm pretty sure one shot last year, the slug hit the doe, knocked her over, but didn't penetrate at all, bounced off like a rubber bullet.
So bought new pellets, a thorough cleaning, and hoping for some luck here late in the season.
Sounds like those pellets got wet or damp somehow. Happened to my BIL when we took a trip to his cabin in SE Ohio for deer gun. We were both shooting muzzleloaders. He thoroughly cleaned his gun after we arrived, while I had cleaned my rifle the day before. All we needed to do was touch off a fouling shot. I went first and everything was fine, just right of the bull. He set up, touched off the shot, and instead of a bang , there was kind of a "FLOOP" sound, and the bullet hit the ground about 10' in front of the muzzle!

I think he got in a little too much of a hurry! We went back inside, he took that rifle apart and dried it thoroughly. We went back out, he touched off another fouling shot, and everything was fine!

That's one of the things ab out ML's that I had a hard time adjusting to, using water based cleaners on a firearm! So, a couple of years ago, I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder. Back to the Hoppe's and the Rem Oil for me! That's what I grew up with, and that's what I like!

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, still no luck. My last 4 times out haven't seen any. I did put out my first trail cam, early x-mas present, so i hope to get not only some deer pics, but in the last 2 years i have had coyotes, a pair of red fox, a bobcat, and a huge mink all walk by. 11 more days, then we hope for some ice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Merry Xmas everyone! Still haven’t gotten a deer this year but a lot of other things to be thankful for. Hope everyone has a great day and a happy New Years to come.
When your season end ours is over1/3/21 one last week for late doe season

21 - 40 of 45 Posts