Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've wondered about that. Went out a couple days ago in found a fallen log about 6"-8" in diameter that had been moved from it's original spot maybe the day before. Either other pickers or deer, I figure. Also went through a woods where most of the place was 6" deep in fallen leaves, but there were spots that were swept clean. You never know, it could have been turkeys as well. I know there are turkeys in that place, don't know if they are where you're hunting but they probably are. A flock of turkey going though the woods makes it look like an army of gardeners with leaf rakes went through there!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know if turkeys eat morels or any other mushrooms, I thought they ate basically nuts, grubs, and especially bugs once they come on with warming weather. Basically anything they can grub out of the ground. My point was that they can really tear up a woods, and they could destroy a lot of morels with their scratching. And who really knows everything that deer eat? While bowhunting I've seen deer paw open anthills and lick up the ants! And I once saw a video of a buck deer in Spring (small antlers still in velvet) eat a baby bird that had fallen from it's nest! All the while Mom & Dad bird were dive bombing away! Just grabbed it by a wing, flipped it into it's mouth, and CHOMP! Totally bizarre!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.