Des Moines

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by iamorelmonster, Apr 13, 2017.

1. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

Not quite ready in the Des Moines area. Soil temps not quite there yet and we could use some more rain. Id say by the weekend we might start finding some small greys. Forecast looks perfect for the next 1-2 weeks though. Going to be a great year ! Good luck everyone.

2. greys

greys Young Morel

Going to be next weekend. I'm sure, was out yesterday and was dry. Needed that rain we missed twice yesterday. Not going out to early this year like I did last because some yahoo on here says they up.show me a receipt or paper for proof of date.

3. iamorelmonster

LOL. Yea i agree, went out tuesday def. need rain. Sounds like were getting some rain this weekend. But it never fails, when we get rain the temperature always drop. Wish we could get a big rain and keep that muggy warm weather. It hasnt timed out like that for as long as i can remember. Also, dont worry as soon as i find one ill post a legit photo.

1 person likes this.
  4. greys

greys Young Morel

Agreed. Much rain is needed. It missed us a few days ago all together. The temp drop maybe not a bad thing presuming we get the ground warm enough. Same here as soon as I find 1 or 500 ( am hoping for 500 but will take 1) I'll post a pic with a recipt.

1 person likes this.
  5. iamorelmonster

6. mushyal

mushyal Young Morel

I'm in Clive. Found 3/4 of a pound yesterday close to a creek. Found another 1/2 pound today at the same place. Good luck, all!

7. Hawkeyes021

Hawkeyes021 Young Morel

How do you go about finding the soil temperature?

8. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

9. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Found over a pound of grays in polk county. Had an hour found a few onesies and pairs lower in short grass. On the way back, 31 in one spot close to road where I parked. western facing in oak elm litter 3 three inchers and then 2 inchers. I guess it's time to work short days

10. WHO0TER

WHO0TER Young Morel

Looked every day for a week with nothing to report. Guessing they are in places with full sun. I am in a timber with little sun

11. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Leaf litter is thicker than normal years- maybe not enough snow last winter? I'm finding them higher elevation and lifting leaves to find more. Otherwise seems like this is a normal year of growing where they should not like last three years of popping in odd patterns. Finding grays and starting to be bigger today

1 person likes this.
  12. iamorelmonster

Found just under a pound today, mostly greys, ranging in that 2-4 inch size. Hill tops and south facing are producing descent size morels. I am finding greys on the north facing as well, but very small ones as you can imagine. Rained today, and hopefully tomorrow again, should be a great weekend for picking. Good luck!

13. bloomer

bloomer Young Morel

IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0362.JPG
    Decent day in Polk co tonight. Mostly 2-4 in. All found in a south facing open wood. Mainly elms.

2 people like this.
  14. WHO0TER

WHO0TER Young Morel

Ok I feel better. Found eight (don't laugh, it is a start). Southern exposure, four feet inside the timber. Stretched out 100 yards but all of them exactly four feet in. Nothing in the annual honey spots yet.

1 person likes this.
  15. iamorelmonster

Yep, its early. None of my hot spots are producing yet. Just a little early unless its on a hill top or timber edge for the most part.

16. bloomer

bloomer Young Morel

IMG_0374.JPG
    Found east of Boone tonight. Upper section of south facing hills. Woods were primarily oak and hickory mainly but these were found around a handful of fading elms. I only had about a half hour after work to hunt before it got dark. I'll be back!

1 person likes this.
  17. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

i had 20 minutes to spare just now, found 2 blacks where i found all those halfs/verpas. will yellow season ever come ha

18. WHO0TER

WHO0TER Young Morel

Looked for two hours today and nothing from the annual honey spots. Good news is I haven't spotted a yellow yet so it gives me hope. What is it with pheasant backs? They are everywhere! I haven't tried any but might have to fall back on those if I get desperate.

19. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Yellows are up still grays. Low western or mid hill on eastern. One or two here and there up to nice flushes of 20-50. 5#yesterday. 1# today and getting ready to head out