Des Moines

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by iamorelmonster, Apr 13, 2017.

1. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

found 6 pounds this weekend. Really had to work for them though. Still havent found any jumbo yellows, alot of greys and runt yellows. Timber is super dry in my early spots and it feels too early for all my later spots. Hate this time of year lol. Ill keep grinding though.

2. WHO0TER

WHO0TER Young Morel

Nice, Monster. If I poured water on mine tonight and let them soak, I might have found a pound. Very dry in the timber. I did find a fresh yellow, so there is more to come. Dying elms are a little easier to pick out with the trees leafing out. Nothing in the traditional honey spots but these were on a north slope.

1 person likes this.
  3. iamorelmonster

found 1.5 lbs of fresh yellows on a north facing today under one tree. Got me excited for the rest of the season. Went to another spot and found a lb of rougher looking ones but still pickable. Should be a couple weeks left of the season yet.

4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Does very few posts mean very little action? I had 10# last weekend. Monday a dry crunchy walk with a few in an hour, didn't go Tuesday and 3# in 2 1/2 hours Wednesday and Thursday. Still 90% grays. Finding lower hill west, mid hill east none north one patch on bottoms. Dry before now cold slowed down but not stopped freshies How's everyone else doing

5. Bryan ramsey

Bryan ramsey Young Morel

Found 25 wed afternoon

6. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

found about 20 yesterday, mostly on the top of ridges facing south. going to go out today when the rain slows down a bit

7. iamorelmonster

IMG_0407.JPG got wet today. Found a couple lbs though.

8. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

any tips lol? i got soaked and found 6..

9. iamorelmonster

Honestly its been a weird year with the weather. Pretty much just comes down to having good trees in the right location. If you know what an elm tree looks like and know what hill sides to check then you should be good. Only other thing is just keep trying. Ive logged alot of miles and hours and have found around 15lbs so far this year all on public ground too.

1 person likes this.
  10. iamorelmonster

If theirs no good dead elm trees on the land your looking not much you can really do.

11. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

Had good luck during the warm days earlier in the week, just not so much the last two. Just have to keep on lookin

12. fun gus

Cottonwoods are good too. Don't have to have dying elm. I took my 10 year old today and found 4 pounds on public land. Found a nice patch of about 50 right by where I parked the car in elm and oak

13. iamorelmonster

Nice Gus, Yea ive never had any luck on the cottonwoods, must not check them enough. Elm, apple and ash trees i have found them on.

14. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Sounds like my story IAmm, just grinding it out day after day (weather permitting), and for hours upon end. I'm noticing a lot of trees with just a precious few this year, even trees that are newly dead and should be producing big time. Best trees so far produced 134 and 48 each. Most are 5 or less. Walked my backside off and shredded my arms to ribbons in some godforsaken areas seldom seen by humans. But I live for the annual ritual of clutching a bag burgeoning with the bounty of providence in one hand, rivulets of blood streaming down my arm while I pick the thorns from it with the other. My fortune improves tenfold when I venture into the most hellish places.

1 person likes this.
  15. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

anyone going/been out today?

16. iamorelmonster

IMG_0410.JPG 4 lbs today. Some jumbo yellows

17. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Yeah, The jumbos are just getting going. I am gonna wait a day or two for the sun to work its magic but it is safe to say the dsm area didnt get too much rain like we did in 12 & 08. Got some growing in the back yard, need to upload the pics and the date's of them growing... Has gotten over 7 inches now in height. When i first spotted it, maybe 3 inches at the most. Was getting very dry and had to pick some other that were near by before the 4 day rainy stretch b/c they were close to crumbling. All that rain did was freshen it back up and has got it looking better than ever. Something to remember while your out hunting, Morels are like anything else trying to survive, so this is why they are the color they are, Close to that of leaves. Remember that they like to be " camoflag " when hunting. Too often i find some that are stepped on next to, or near, huge flushes. Go from elm to elm with your eyes only on the ground. Get a good walking stick to, It doubles as a extension of your arm allowing you to easily move undergrowth out of your way to spot the mighty morel. The fungus is among us. Good Hunting!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. fun gus

Strange season. I've gone out for 53 years- I'm 56 so I've only been paying attention for the last 40 years. Things that still hold true- first pops with first lilac partial bloom at 53 degrees (I learned that number in the 90's). Last bloom alive of lilac is bigfoot time. I once picked 15 pounds with two inches of snow.
    Here's what I learned this year. Soil temp has been below 53 for four days, but they're still popping. Saturday/Sunday 11 pounds Monday three pounds. I'm going out two hours a day on average. The cold weather pops are about 2/3 gray about four inches on average and fresh. Lilacs are staying at not quite full bloom since Friday right at mid season mark. Yesterday they are popping best on sunny spots.
    when the heat comes, should be a week of great picking but the ground cover going to grow fast.
    I've frozen five pounds given away five pounds and have over 10 pounds in the fridge and cooked about 13 pounds. I always stop at 50 pounds and the the funky last three years didn't let me hit that mark, but I'll get it this year. Good luck and I'd say Friday is a good day to call in sick to work

1 person likes this.
  19. iamorelmonster

Im running out of spots to go. Today I went to a spot by a bike trail and every tree looked like a UFO touched down around it. Just weeds trampled everywhere on every elm. Ill just have to get more creative and get farther out. It sucks too cause i know the jumbos are going right now.