Des Moines

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by iamorelmonster, Apr 13, 2017.

1. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

I only go public. Last year I was having a good day on a bad year. I came upon a path with a woman sitting on a metal bench and her boyfriend poking around. I spent five minutes giving him the basics and his girlfriend said let's go. They walked off and I walked on. I came up to the bench she was sitting on and saw a nice yellow. Ill try to find the picture. In the area trampled around the bench on the trail, were over 50 nice fresh ones. It was my best haul last year. I chalked it up to karma for trying to help the guy but it's about checking out the area at the right time.

1 person likes this.
  2. fun gus

IMG_1125.JPG Under a bench

Attached Files:

2 people like this.

3. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

IMG_0411.JPG Ended up hitting a nice jackpot today on public. Just had to keep going. Couple lbs in an hour.

4. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

wow, pretty nice size. how much longer do you guys think you have?

1 person likes this.
  5. fun gus

Looking like Mother's Day will be the end in polk county. Not a 10 year but a solid 7. After the last three years being poor to midlin, it feels like a 10. Still finding grays but now 2/3 yellows. I have a spot that gives 3-10 pounds of blacks but they haven't popped at all yet. They are the tastiest so I'm hoping. The cold weather was making the sunny low west spots flush early. Now that it's warming up I'm finding them up on higher ground a little ways. Weird but whatever works. IMO the bottoms will hit Saturday. Got over five pounds today but spent four hours. I stop at 50# so I'm done this weekend. Next week will hit 80s, so the thinner skinned big yellows will be left which are the least tasty imo

6. fun gus

Congrats. Hope you keep hitting em, they are popping fresh as we speak

1 person likes this.
  7. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Glad you had a good year fun gus Now it's my turn for a good year. Starting off well. Good luck

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  8. Hazcon

Hazcon Young Morel

Was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I'm in Des Moines and Ames for work this week and next.
    I missed the entire Illinois season at home because I had to work in TX for it. Unfortunately it was too late for TX when I got there. Now up here I should be ahead of the game but have been out a few times this week with no results. Can you tell me what area you think would be good by Sunday? Or do I need to go north? I'm not opposed to traveling.
    Any local help would be appreciated.

9. Hazcon

Hazcon Young Morel

Thanks for the great advice Fun Gus!
    Had a great day in the woods and came out with some big fresh yellows

Attached Files:

10. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

anyone still finding quality morels in the des moines area?

11. fun gus

Didn't go today but three pounds yesterday. I'm thinking low and mid north

12. cornfedbridger

cornfedbridger Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 pounds in Sunday in central Iowa. Only out about an hour. The good rain probably help. I would imagine we still have a strong few days.