Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im running out of spots to go. Today I went to a spot by a bike trail and every tree looked like a UFO touched down around it. Just weeds trampled everywhere on every elm. Ill just have to get more creative and get farther out. It sucks too cause i know the jumbos are going right now.
I only go public. Last year I was having a good day on a bad year. I came upon a path with a woman sitting on a metal bench and her boyfriend poking around. I spent five minutes giving him the basics and his girlfriend said let's go. They walked off and I walked on. I came up to the bench she was sitting on and saw a nice yellow. Ill try to find the picture. In the area trampled around the bench on the trail, were over 50 nice fresh ones. It was my best haul last year. I chalked it up to karma for trying to help the guy but it's about checking out the area at the right time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wow, pretty nice size. how much longer do you guys think you have?
Looking like Mother's Day will be the end in polk county. Not a 10 year but a solid 7. After the last three years being poor to midlin, it feels like a 10. Still finding grays but now 2/3 yellows. I have a spot that gives 3-10 pounds of blacks but they haven't popped at all yet. They are the tastiest so I'm hoping. The cold weather was making the sunny low west spots flush early. Now that it's warming up I'm finding them up on higher ground a little ways. Weird but whatever works. IMO the bottoms will hit Saturday. Got over five pounds today but spent four hours. I stop at 50# so I'm done this weekend. Next week will hit 80s, so the thinner skinned big yellows will be left which are the least tasty imo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I'm in Des Moines and Ames for work this week and next.
I missed the entire Illinois season at home because I had to work in TX for it. Unfortunately it was too late for TX when I got there. Now up here I should be ahead of the game but have been out a few times this week with no results. Can you tell me what area you think would be good by Sunday? Or do I need to go north? I'm not opposed to traveling.
Any local help would be appreciated.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts