Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never dried mushrooms before. Can anyone tell me if there is anything special that needs done to dry morel mushrooms safely for consumption later? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Trahn, how do I know how long to dehydrate? I know I've heard to make the pieces similar in size, but how do I know they are safe to store?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And also, I picked them Saturday night. Can I clean them now and dry tomorrow night? Or wait until tomorrow night and clean and dry immediately after?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I leave them whole and run the dehydrator at 105f until they are crispy dried and while they are still warm they go right into mason jars. I have morels still from 10 years ago that are still perfect.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I never wash any mushrooms with water before I dehydrate. I don’t even really brush them off they go right into dehydrator as is. Most of the dirt and bugs fall off when they are dry. They also get a good wash when the get rehydrated. I’ve done hundreds of pounds of mushrooms this way, and is the only way I do them.Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my morels are nice and snug in the dehydrator, I'm guessing by the coloration on the trays, and by the dehydrator fan that the spore print of morels is a yellowish-orange?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Once upon a time . . .

Once upon a time I used this below, to dry morels and other mushrooms -- the dehumidifier in the basement. I'd place 'shrooms on a screen and position it over the dry air outlet. It worked, sort-a -- if they got too dry and light, sometimes I'd have to pick them off the floor as they would go flying.

Than a friend was selling his house to move to FL in retirement and called me up and said the magic words "we have several dehydrators and you can have them for nothing, if you can use them!".

I took both and gave the cheaper one to my mushroom hunting buddy and I kept this one below.

It has made me into a believer of good quality in dehydrators. Though there have been times that I've still used my 2nd 'cheapie dehydrator' also, to dry lots of 'shrooms at the same time.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once upon a time . . .

Once upon a time I used this below, to dry morels and other mushrooms -- the dehumidifier in the basement. I'd place 'shrooms on a screen and position it over the dry air outlet. It worked, sort-a -- if they got too dry and lite, sometimes I'd have to pick them off the floor as they would go flying.

View attachment 39153

Than a friend was selling his house to move to FL in retirement and called me up and said the magic words "we have several dehydrators and you can have them for nothing, if you can use them!".

I took both and gave the cheaper one to my mushroom hunting buddy and I kept this one below.

View attachment 39155

It has made me into a believer of good quality in dehydrators. Though there have been times that I've still used my 2nd 'cheapie dehydrator' also, to dry lots of 'shrooms at the same time.

Happy Hunting!
Love the story SB haha. This is what I have. It was my dad's and it's dried allot of jerky, and some mushrooms that we don't usually talk about on here! It seems to work well. But maybe I just don't know better. I know it works better than the one I had before haha!
IMG_20210505_163724688.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Once upon a time . . .

Once upon a time I used this below, to dry morels and other mushrooms -- the dehumidifier in the basement. I'd place 'shrooms on a screen and position it over the dry air outlet. It worked, sort-a -- if they got too dry and light, sometimes I'd have to pick them off the floor as they would go flying.

View attachment 39153

View attachment 39155

Happy Hunting!
That is damn clever!! Thanks for sharing that idea for folks that do not have a dehydrator!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts