Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found about two dozen on my backyard under some trees just this morning.

View attachment 41041
View attachment 41040
thats amazing! And so early? My brother (who knows almost nothing about mushrooms mentioned he thought he found a morel in N. San Antonio this weekend while golfing. He said about 6/7 inches tall and like honeycomb and brain appearance on top. He tossed it aside and don’t carry cause the group moved on to the next hole!!! Didn’t think to take a picture and just now texted asking if they grew that far South 🤦‍♀️ This makes me wonder if that’s exactly what he found…but probably a stinkhorn.
: 33451"]

View attachment 41041
View attachment 41040
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check out the under growth in the woods unless plants in the woods down there only grow knee high im calling bs thats a pic from the spring time. Not to mention the fact that the trees arent starting to turn in the pic. Anyone from texas able to give a ruff estimate of the time your trees down there start to changs color and loose their leaves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the under growth in the woods unless plants in the woods down there only grow knee high im calling bs thats a pic from the spring time. Not to mention the fact that the trees arent starting to turn in the pic. Anyone from texas able to give a ruff estimate of the time your trees down there start to changs color and loose their leaves.
Totally could be a recent picture. I live in the same area, and we just had our first freeze this last weekend. Also, none of the trees in the picture change colors at all (most of the leaves you can see are escarpment oaks, which are evergreen) except the one that's either a soapberry or chinese pistache. It looks to me like it HAS changed color in the pic, and looks just about right for this time of the year. Finally, this is in a yard and the undergrowth are domestic plants commonly used around here. That's as big as they get.

I'm not saying these are or arent current, but nothing in the photos says they can't be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The grass is one of the Saint Augustine types and shows quite a bit of "older" summer growth, ( brown blades) not new growth. In SC this type of grass begins to go dormant for the winter in mid to late October and it's very likley to be later in Gulf Coast states.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apparently fall down there looks alot different than up here.
It's looking like it'll be shorts weather this Xmas. Yesterday's high was 80F (which is, to be fair, a new record). The only thing predictable about Texas weather is that it'll be weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's looking like it'll be shorts weather this Xmas. Yesterday's high was 80F (which is, to be fair, a new record). The only thing predictable about Texas weather is that it'll be weird.
Are there any public lands to find Morels? I would love to find them closer to home. I travel to northern Indiana every year.

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts

View attachment 41041
View attachment 41040
These are beautiful and Awesome finds..my Uncle found some Morels in his yard in November one year..
this past November 2021 was such exceptional weather and I believe some might be up, in the just Right location..but I was unable to get out and look...
Thank You for your Excellent Reporting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts