Early season shrooms!?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by bigcatriverrunner, Apr 10, 2013.

1. bigcatriverrunner

bigcatriverrunner Morel Enthusiast

I always seem to find nice hauls of yellows towards the "end" of season, but i struggle to find the early varieties. I find a few dogpeckers (i think they are refered to as half frees on here) in a couple spots anually but rarely a black. I followed this board last year for the first time (and last years version was much more user friendly), and so far this year, so the basic ideas are ash and poplar trees on south facing banks early for blacks. Am i missing anything? Just looking for some pointers, have plenty of area.

2. thunter

thunter Morel Connoisseur

You wont find many tulip poplar on south facing hillsides, except down low near the creeks, poplars prefer the cool side of the hill...thats where you need to be

3. bigcatriverrunner

Thanks thunter. You saying east or north banks for tulip poplars? Went out this evening and tried to locate some on an east bank, but once i am in the woods i am not sure if they are poplars or not. I need some work with my tree id. Most of my finds come from dead elms. Any other trees i should try for blacks?

4. lidspinner

lidspinner Morel Enthusiast

Even with a field guide, finding and identifying trees is a tough chore.....so many look alike and without leaves and fruits or berries on the trees, it's almost impossible to nail it down to an exact species.....I prefer to go with someone I trust and have them teach me as we go...

5. sponge69

sponge69 Young Morel

10 small greys found today in west central IN. (small). they are coming!!!

6. thunter

Yea bigcat. At least with the type of terrain in my area, that's where I prefer to hunt. I've seen pics & video of black patches & the surrounding area looked very different from what im used to hunting, so i don't know that there is a right or wrong area to look. Depending on who ya talk to, you'll get 20 different answers here.
    Mostly it takes a lot of time & hiking. Once you've located a patch, pay attention to all the details. They aren't there by chance, but for a reason. Duplicate it.
    When your hunting yellows, your not haphazzardly wandering around hoping to find some. Your targeting specific trees/areas. It's no different finding blacks.
    I don't believe the blacks are tied to poplar in the same sense as yellows are to elm. I just believe both prefer the same conditions. Poplar are pretty easy to identify, even w/o leaves. You won't see any branches for a long ways up the trunk and they are straight as telephone poles, like I said before, they like cool conditions.
    Hope that helps, good luck.

7. bigcatriverrunner

Thanks for the info thunter. I hope to find some blacks this year. Went out in Vinton County all afternoon and only found a couple of false morels. Woods looked like it was in pretty good shape but just no finds. Any day now!!!!

8. chuck d

chuck d Morel Enthusiast

Hey thunder how have u been? Big cat they.should be up in Vinton cuz they are up in Fairfield Co. None of them I have found were very big today but there up. All found were by ash trees on south facing slopes. Nothing on the east or west slopes around poplar yet. Trees just started getting some green in them the last 2 days. Weather warms up again its on.

9. thunter

Good chuck....craving a mess of shrooms big time, next week we'll be frying em up :lol:

10. bigcatriverrunner

Today was a one time hunt in vinton county. I walked some land my uncle was looking to buy for hunting and i took the opportunity to check out some new land. It was supposedly select cut about eight years ago, but it was more like clear cut. I live and usually hunt private and public in coshocton county. Will try again tomorrow and sunday! Good luck to you all.

11. thunter

Yep, logging will kill a woods every time
    One of my fav spots had just a few trees cut, near the patch, not in it and i havnt found anything there since

12. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Hey thunter!
    "Mostly it takes a lot of time & hiking. Once you’ve located a patch, pay attention to all the details. They aren’t there by chance, but for a reason. Duplicate it." +1
    I have 4 or 5 consistent spots for blacks and not one of them looks a lot like the other, lol!
    But I totally agree that it takes a LOT of time and walking. You've got to put the miles on the boots. Blacks are the hardest to find, I've spent many miles in the woods only to come out with one or two in the years before I found spots that produce well. Just keep your eyes on the ground and walk til you run outta woods!

13. thunter

Right ksu, gotta put your time into it. Getting there first counts for alot too :) .....good luck to ya this season. I see you already have some tied down,....end of next week should be good.

14. sponge69

sponge69 Young Morel

ahoy mates..found about 40 blacks in west southern IN today! these are fresh..still they produce in plentiful hunny loads every year and nothing to carry out 10 lbs in this spot. It is still early but "They are UP!!!" Im figuring by Tuesday we should be picking the whole hillside like years past! Good luck all!

15. netmanjack

netmanjack Young Morel

Check around l wild cherry trees Bigcat. Here in knox county that is the best place to find blacks. They come on early in the season. If I'm finding yellows the blacks are usually gone.

16. bigcatriverrunner

Any reports of finds in coshocton county?
    Have been out four days in a row and nothing yet. Vinton on thursday Coshocton on saturday and sunday and guernsey today. Elms, poplars, ash, cherry, and an old apple orchard...........still nothing.

17. oldshroomer

oldshroomer Morel Connoisseur

From all the reports, you'll probably start seeing some by the end of this week or the first of next week.

18. bigcatriverrunner

Thanks for the tips everyone!! Went out today in coshocton and found one tiny tiny black. covered it up til the weekend, hopefully nobody gets it. Found it on a south facing bank between an ash and two small cherry trees. Maybe in a few days there will be a whole mess there!

Anyone else find any in coshocton?

19. bigcatriverrunner

Went out today again in coshocton county and no shrooms. One tick, mayapples from 1"-10" depending on how high on the hill i was, and plenty of other fungi though. Any day now!