Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filmed in Eldorado County, California. Elevation 5200 ft. The weather is getting too hot to sustain further growth.
Leave me a comment if you have any questions related to morels/mushroom picking in the bay area/Serra Nevada.

I will post for more updates on the youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/BinJin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. Thank you for posting. I'm surprised to hear they are that high this early in the season. Are you searching burn areas or just going by elevation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! I know nothing about mushrooms and am new to the bay area. My boyfriend is a mushroom enthusiast and I'd like to surprise him and take him on a foraging trip... what areas do you recommend and when is the best time to go? We live in San Francisco. Would really appreciate your advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi! I know nothing about mushrooms and am new to the bay area. My boyfriend is a mushroom enthusiast and I'd like to surprise him and take him on a foraging trip... what areas do you recommend and when is the best time to go? We live in San Francisco. Would really appreciate your advice. Thank you!
You can start looking now around 4k-6k feet. I go to the Sierra's off 80, or 50 but the elevation is key. It depends on soil temps. When it gets near 80 in the valley they show up in mountains. Old burn areas are also good to look for but some people look just by elevation. I've heard of them being found on the coast also but have never done it. Always wants to go north of SF towards Ukiah and saw some impressive videos of morels up there. Look under the pines, in the pine straw. Try searching under cedars specifically.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to one burn area about 2 weeks ago and it just seemed to dry. If they're already starting to pop at 5k feet then im afraid the burns may need rain

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, the weather is too dry for mushroom growth in the Bay Area right now. Point Reyes is a great destination for mushroom picking near San Francisco. I would recommend going on a hike there one week after raining. You can legally gather mushrooms there too:
  • Mushrooms - 2 gallons plus 1 mushroom per adult per day

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would say go memorial dAy weekend, focusing on east and north facing slopes above 5500' where the fire killed trees (brown needles hanging on trees), but no crown fire ( black tree tops).

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here. Found my first morels today. Two weekends ago I headed to an older burn at 5.5k and found violet cups just coming up and no morels. Found a small patch today.
Hope the feeling I got when I stumbled upon them never goes away. Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, we spent the day yesterday looking in burn areas off Highway 50, at about 5500 feet. It was really dry. Not one to be seen. This is my third season, so I am a relative newbie, will we get any if things stay this dry?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts