East Central Iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by pshycedelicshroomer, Apr 29, 2014.

1. theneer

theneer Morel Enthusiast

Hey pshyc, where are you coming from or I should say where are you from?

2. pshycedelicshroomer

pshycedelicshroomer Morel Enthusiast

I'm coming from Columbus Ohio(born and raised). My friend that lives here is originally from Bellevue and his parents live in Maqouketa. Would like to see some rain out there!

3. shroomhawk

shroomhawk Morel Enthusiast

In Jackson county Weds. Most of my honey holes had nothing, then stumbled upon the mother lode on one small hillside. 200 fresh greys and yellows in a 25' X 10' area. South-facing slope on a small ravine. Sweet!! Expecting other areas to pop by this weekend.

4. pshycedelicshroomer

pshycedelicshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Jackson county also,found about 10# of yellow under 1 tree yesterday...sweet! Then hit and miss from there. Out again today hit a nice bunch of fresh greys and then hit and miss again! Probably around 20# for the first 2 days,Going in am before heading back to Ohio. Thank you Iowa! Love coming out here!

5. mikekrebill

mikekrebill Morel Enthusiast

For those of you who haven't heard yet, greys and yellows and big-footed morels (the giants) are all the same species according to DNA studies. This means that those greys will grow into the bigger yellows if you can wait and go back to collect them a week to 10 days later.

6. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. shroomhawk

Shrooms do not grow - they unfurl. Their mass is already determined when they pop. Pick 'em when they're fresh! Rain and cool this week. Any guesses about another crop coming this weekend?

8. shroom god

ShroomHawk, my guess is that this cool weather will (a) preserve what's in southern Iowa this week and (b) extend the season for another week or so in northern Iowa. What do you think? I believe you're right about unfurling. I've tested the growth hypothesis several times through multiple observations and nothing I left ever grew. I'd sure like to see a time-lapse video of morel fruitation. I wonder how long it actually takes on average for them to unfurl?

9. shroom god

Hmmm... is this <strong>growing</strong> or <strong>unfurling</strong>? Or <em>both</em>? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JurrfK_wQI<span style="color: green"> </span> :?:

10. shroomhawk

Shroom God: I know that I have checked spots in the evening and found full size shrooms in the morning. Must be a few hours is all it takes. Greys may expand a bit and turn yellow, but I do not believe their mass changes. That is why yellows tend to crumble more than greys - they get a little thinner and weaker. I'll take the greys all day long. Going to Jackson County again this weekend. Hoping for a second crop.

11. shroomhawk

Interesting video. Looks like it is growing. But if you ever cut into a smaller grey you'll notice the walls are thicker and more dense than a full size morel. I think it is simply expanding like a sponge dipped in water. But what do I know. These things have baffled me for years!

12. shroom god

The mysteries surrounding 'em is a big part of what makes hunting 'em so fun. Friday I'm going to be along the Maquoketa River in Jones Co. near Canton (if you don't pick them all by then). :-x

13. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Shroom God: I, too, love the mystery. And that's an awesome image you created somewheres on here of you as a child like something feral roaming the woods in search of morels! Great stuff. May have to borrow that.

14. shroom god

Hey SWI, I tend to think that some of us are "people out of time" who are blessed with a powerful, innate primordial instinct and impulse that enables us to experience a primitive hunting and gathering episode in much the same way that our distant ancestors did. I do, in fact, "go wild" when I get to the woods. I transition quickly; As I leave my Jeep behind I become a savage, shedding most human conveniences and exchanging the artificial complexities and distractions of our modern technological society for the natural complexities, mysteries, and marvels of the woods. I rediscover physical and psychological equilibrium amid the splendors of nature and the challenges and opportunities it offers. I give myself to the woods; I am at one with it--a part of it. I sense ancestral and cultural connection with the past. So for me it's quasi-spiritual; the hunt itself is simply pure fun. As you know, not everyone can experience this. My wife can't get past her concerns about ticks, bugs, multiflora rose and other thorny or prickly bushes. To those of us who live for this, such things are an anticipated and authentic part of the experience.

15. shroomhawk

Shroom God: How was Canton? I'll be about 3 miles west of 61 along the river this weekend. Wondering how things look. I agree with your sentiments above. There's nothing more rejuvenating than getting off the grid for a few days and traipsing through unspoiled timberland. It amazes me how many people don't share that view.

16. shroom god

Heading up there tomorrow ShroomHawk. That's some blessed country. I'll be about 5 miles west of there, I think. Back in the day there used to be a good number of timber rattlers in those parts. WILD country! You wouldn't happen to be hunting the Maquoketa Caves park? That could be good. There's plenty of space there and you'll find good trees if you go deep off the beaten path.

17. shroomhawk

Bought some acreage there two years ago. Came across a 4 foot rattler there. They are still around.

18. shroom god

I'm stoked about getting up there. I've got my eyes on some ground there too, dirt road accessible only. Hope you haul 'em out by the truckload. Been to Bluff Lake yet? Saturday night is all you can eat haddock, I think. If you haven't, you gotta! It's memorable.

19. shroomhawk

Saturday I bagged about 15 pounds of very fresh yellows with little effort. Today was not so good. Based on what I saw I think the season is over for that area. How did you do, Shroom God?

20. shroom god

Way to go ShroomHawk. Are you freezing any or what? I only bagged about 6-7 pounds. Mine were pretty fresh. I got another 5 pounds today in Johnson Co. JUMBOS--about 100 under a tree, some growing in clusters. All 4-6 inchers. I spotted them from a distance of 20 feet away, so easy to see it was ridiculous. The bad news is they were **almost** brittle. Another 3 days and they'd have crumbled. Glad I rescued them. I might head north to the border next weekend.