East Dallas Information

Discussion in 'Texas' started by KCat, Feb 1, 2020.

1. KCat

KCat Young Morel

I grew up in Illinois and hunting mushrooms with my dad until I moved away at 21. I haven't gone hunting since then....It is the one thing I miss most from my childhood and wish to go again. I am single so don't have a hubby to drag along, and frankly, have forgotten a lot of what I learned.
    I am seeking a mentor to help me renew my love for the hunt.... (and the taste)...
    Texas is different than Illinois....
    I live near Rockwall so if anybody is willing to drag me along, I am willing to drive a bit to get to you...
    I'm hoping to head to Illinois also in April to visit my siblings since my parents have now both passed and hopefully can drag one of them out..Dad used to always start looking April 15th Once it is in your blood, it is there...
    My son also has just purchased land in southern Oklahoma, so that's an option as well....
    I appreciate any support and feedback..

1 person likes this.
  2. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Rockwall...hmmm. look around cedars in that area. You have a lot of limestone in your area. Go to the cedar thickets and look under the cedars. You should find them there. Also I have talked to a lot of people who say there is a second season out in that area around October when the temp conditions are about the same as in the spring. Oklahoma would be a good place to look as well as they seem to have an abundant of elm trees.

1 person likes this.

3. Jess lethe

Jess lethe Morel Enthusiast

I just moved to southeast Texas from Washington state and I have found a few mushrooms I am familiar with but has anyone ever recorded findings of morels this far south in this state ?

4. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

They are here and in abundance. Find the elms.

1 person likes this.
  5. JimBob

JimBob Young Morel

I find morels every year around April 1 in a stand of elms and occasionally under cedars.

Jess lethe likes this.