El Segundo Business Park Morels?

Discussion in 'California' started by Neil LA, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Neil LA

Neil LA Young Morel

Hello! New member here, so apologies for any rehash. I found some morels in the business park outdoor area where I work in El Segundo, CA - I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation as to whether they are safe to eat. Very surprised to find them here, but assuming they are from mulch brought in from somewhere else.

There are roughly 20 specimens ranging from an inch to the 3 or 4" mostly growing in a crack between artificial turf, and out in the open under some redwood trees (pictured).

My assumption is that I shouldn't eat them due to potential pesticide spraying in what's pretty much a public area, but if anyone says otherwise please let me know your thoughts!
    IMG_2152.jpg IMG_2153.jpg IMG_2154.jpg IMG_2150.jpg

1 person likes this.
  2. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the group! They look great to me! Next to richard from Seal Beach you're the earliest report from California. (Up here in Shasta Lake, CA we usually have to wait till May) Your shrooms don't look deformed or otherwise weird in any way; if it was me, I'd have to give 'em a try! Good eye!...Happy Shroomin'.....

3. hikethehills

hikethehills Morel Enthusiast

They look good to me also. I would eat them!

4. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

DO NOT EAT THEM!!!! They are very dangerous....give me the location and I will safely remove them for you.

5. hikethehills

6. hikethehills

7. richard lingenfelter

richard lingenfelter Morel Enthusiast

Just go ahead and soak them in salt water and then go ahead and Fry em, like usual. They'll be delicious. Don't even worry about it. I find mine in the same type area and I've never been sick for him. Just make sure you take him cut him in half make sure there's no bugs dip them in egg wash and then cracker crumbs and fry them inbutter. Deelishis

1 person likes this.
  8. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

In Kuo's book "Morels", he references specifically California morels that come from mulch! Who knows where the wood for this mulch comes from, but it has to be loaded with morel mycelia! He never mentioned any cautions about eating them. There were correspondents from Cali who wrote about finding morels in landscape plantings around fast food joints! Come to think of it, I guess that the soil that the mulch rests on is full of morel mycelia!

Some years ago, I had to drop off an item at my buddy's house when neither he nor his wife would be home. He told me to leave it on the back patio, out of sight of the street. I did so, and getting back into my truck, I see a mushroom explosion growing at the back of one of his planted beds! I make a closer examination, and think I may have found the mother lode of Chanterelles! My first ever! Further investigation revealed that they were growing out of wood mulch that had been taken over by the lawn creeping in on the planted bed, making it appear that they were growing out of the ground.

What I had found was the mother lode of Jack O'Lanterns! Good thing I checked closer, or I might not be making this post! just another reminder for all hunters to know, without a doubt, what you are harvesting and eating!

Good luck this year!

1 person likes this.