Enjoying natures bounty!

Discussion in 'Nebraska' started by shroomanitutanka, May 8, 2013.

1. shroomanitutanka

shroomanitutanka Morel Connoisseur

I love this time when you've got a nice balance of greys & yellows. It's nice to sauté the greys with steaks and bread & fry the yellows for appetizers! Taking next couple days to fill the larders for the months ahead. Good luck out ther & happy hunting!
    Shroomani

2. omahanewbie

omahanewbie Young Morel

Do you or anyone you know either 1. take people with you for $ or 2. sell shrooms? I have a friend here in omaha who is dying for some and we are both clueless.

3. shroomanitutanka

You would be hard pressed to have anyone show you their spots, but you can go out to any of the state parks and search there. Even some of the city parks like NP Dodge and the one over in CB south of I-80. I think it's called 'Western Trails' or something like that. Search in areas with dead elms or places that have decent ground vegetation. They are starting to pop up in grassy areas too. You can also keep an eye out at the grocery stores. I remember seeing fresh morels at No Frills and Bag & Save a few years back when there was a crazy amount harvested and they really weren't that pricey. My best advice is to get out there and try your best. Be patient and it will pay off!
    Good Luck & Happy Hunting!
    Shroomani

4. omahanewbie

omahanewbie Young Morel

Thank you Shroomani! Hahaha. I don't even know the parks you mention but I guess it's time to get out and explore Omaha. I have a fantastic crop of some kind of fungi in my garden this morning but no way I plan to eat it to find out if it's safe.

5. thereaper

thereaper Morel Enthusiast

Went out on Platte for 10 mins on lunch to a tree that produced some grays early on last year. Bunch of toadstools and 2 morel stumps. Bummer, I was that close.

6. shroomanitutanka

Google image puffballs & chanterelle mushrooms. I saw some chanterelles yesterday and would have picked them, but they were older and were kinda falling apart. Take a pic of what's in your yard & post it on here, but yeah, it's probably a good idea not to eat some that you have no idea what they are!

7. 0101010101

0101010101 Morel Enthusiast

Probably not chantrelles yet as those are June-July, and I think puffballs are also mid-summer.

The chances are very good that whatever is growing in your yard is not edible, and even if not directly poisonous, is not particularly delicious.

There are thousands of varieties of mushrooms, so be absolutely sure you have identified any you plan to eat 100%, and know everything about them. There are tons of books available to help you identify mushrooms, and even a lot of websites. Such as: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/

8. shroomwinkle

shroomwinkle Morel Enthusiast

just pic 8-10 lbs today nice fresh shrooms