Excited for my first haul!!

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by beckhh, May 5, 2013.

1. beckhh

beckhh Young Morel

Rained all weekend, took a walk into the woods Sunday, May 5th and found some HUGE beauties. First time I have ever found them this size. Can't wait for these delicious treats. Hope to find a few more the next couple of days.

2. greendave

greendave Morel Enthusiast

what part of the state are you in?

Thanks,

-Dave

3. celesta68

celesta68 Young Morel

I just moved here last fall from Illinois...My family is finding them now there...But what kind of vegetation do I look for here in the Raleigh area ?

4. blueridge72

blueridge72 Morel Enthusiast

Celesta- I haven't found any around the triangle that weren't near or under Tulip Poplars. Find someplace whith few pine trees. I think you'll need some luck also. I've been hunting around here for 3-4 seasons and haven't found more than a big hand full for a days walking. I'm not giving up though! I'm an import too,(VA). It's quite an adventure to hunt them blind,(without the location knowledge passed around between friends and relatives. Good Luck!

5. beckhh

beckhh Young Morel

greendave - I am in Sylva/Cullowhee area near WCU. Far western part of the state.
    celesta68 - sorry, I am not much help as Raleigh is a good 4-5 hours East of me. Good luck, hope you find some!

6. cosmiccharlie84

cosmiccharlie84 Morel Enthusiast

Yo beckhh
    Do you know the aprox elevation you are finding them? Im not that far from where your at. I live in North GA but im always up around Highlands and Cashiers. I was just around the Tuckasegee area found some nice fresh ones up on a ridge top, but I was well over 4000 feet. I was thinking anywhere around here below 4000 ft was pretty much over for morels.

7. beckhh

beckhh Young Morel

Cosmiccharlie84 about 3,000 feet

8. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Been hunting at about 3500' the last 2 weekends between Sylva and Bryson City. In one small one acre spot over the last 2 weekends I have found about 220 tulip morels. Strange year as my other spots in Western Swain county were done 2 weeks ago and did not produce well this year. Planning on going to higher elevations this weekend.

9. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Did some looking around about 4000' this past weekend without any luck. Went back to the same spot I had hunted the past 2 weekends and found another 140 tulip morels. This weekend finds were about 50% older and the rest were very fresh. My new "honey hole" has produced almost 400 shrooms the past 3 weekends.