Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017 -- hens, chickens, oysters etc.

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by clwstl, Sep 11, 2017.

1. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

Hello! It's that time of the year again, once again I am starting a folder for fall finds.

Probably too early for hens but there might be some sulphur shelf (chickens) out there.

Ringless honeys started coming up last week in STL County

Have fun!

1 person likes this.
  2. ckorte

ckorte Morel Enthusiast

Found this one yesterday going to give it another day or so to grow IMG_1959.JPG

3. mattolsen

mattolsen Morel Enthusiast

I don't know about you guys in Missouri but up here in chicago we started to get great fall mushroom weather as it was starting to dramatically cool down at night and had finally gotten some good rain and now for the past few days and supposedly for the next week we're in the upper 90's and dry as a bone. Prior to this horrible weather I was finding lots of cincinnatius and sulphureus, honey mushrooms, hedgehogs, etc. Glad to see you are getting some great weather.

4. ckorte

ckorte Morel Enthusiast

Been hot and dry here too this one comes up on the same stump every year around this time. Someone posted the hens were starting and drying up quick but none of my early spots have started. Now just waiting for some cool and wet weather.

5. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

That's a nice looking chicken I'm going to look for some pawpaws and check a hen spot today!

6. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Entoloma abortivum are all over Northern Michigan. I've been eating them for over a week now. Anyone have any good recipes for them IMG_20170923_084404.jpg IMG_20170923_084513.jpg IMG_20170923_090217.jpg IMG_20170923_090616.jpg IMG_20170923_092421.jpg ?

Neecienee likes this.
  7. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

I have only tried cooking them one way so far. Tempura battered and fried in oil. Then we dip in cocktail sauce and enjoy. Everyone who has tried them thought they were great.

My wife really enjoys them, last year she filled a basket in a huge briar patch without a care in the world. Meanwhile I was picking around the edges.

Would definitely like to try some new recipes with them.

1 person likes this.
  8. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

So i went out today picked a couple buckets of pawpaws and found an old chicken also checked a hen spot and found a piece of hen that was about 3 weeks old I would say! It looked like someone picked it already.

Attached Files:

9. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

No Jack I haven't ever picked them.

10. jasonl

jasonl Morel Connoisseur

found a hen ,,,about the size of a softball right now

1 person likes this.
  11. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

What part of the state are you in where you were getting pawpaws that late in September?

1 person likes this.
  12. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

Too dry in STL so far but rain tonight so I will look Thurs and this weekend

13. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I'm on about the same part as u clwstl just alittle south

14. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Desoto is were I live but I travel up to about an hour sometimes to different spots

15. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

So i went out and checked a couple spots yesterday an old chicken is all I found! 20171006_112703.jpg

16. Neecienee

Neecienee Morel Enthusiast

17. jack

Sorry about taking so long I was gone downstate deer hunting. Anyway, here is a some information on a club called The Michigan Mushroom Hunters Club. All the information should be in this link, if not get hold of me and I will get more info. They have hunts all over the state too. That's where I got my start.
    mmhc2017

Neecienee likes this.
  18. Neecienee

Neecienee Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Jack! Hope you did well downstate hunting. Morelcommander shot a nice little buck up near Muskegon area.

19. jack

If you need anything else, let me know. I saw a lot of deer including this one that kept coming in just before dawn and just after dark and sometimes in the middle of the night. SUNP0078.JPG

Neecienee likes this.
  20. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Nice little buck is that from a game cam?