Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017 -- hens, chickens, oysters etc.

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by clwstl, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

All were from 2 seasons ago

2. jasonl

jasonl Morel Connoisseur

It was a pretty lame fall mushroom season ...but we are in a severe drought.

I ended up with 9 hens on 3 tree's ....one is still growing as far as I know
    It was a baby when I left it, about 6 days ago ........

I just cooked up some hen casserole this morning and am gonna serve it on Turkey day......
    There's still plenty of time for mushrooms to grow so dont hang it up........the oysters will be poping on the lake shores and river banks for the next month or more

3. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

Jason, I agree, it was the worst season I can remember. I found 1 chicken and NO hens. Well, there's always next year.

1 person likes this.
  4. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Lol we have snow up here in Minnesota can't believe ur still getting them down there

5. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Ok peeps the hens and shaggy Maine's popped get out there and get them!!!

6. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

7. ckorte

ckorte Morel Enthusiast

7F909878-005D-4482-86D2-AAEF338B98F7.jpeg CBB95B48-6153-42B6-857E-C996DD633C92.jpeg Found a log loaded with oysters today

8. j12goose

j12goose Young Morel

I'm new here..... I'm going to try to post a pic, so if it doesn't work, well that must just be my poor computer skills showing themselves!!

This is a Hen that I found the day after Thanksgiving close to my parents house ner Springfield, MO. Notice that most of it has been eaten!! There are horses in the pasture where this oak stands. In an adjacent pasture, there are cattle. You guessed it! the cattle had eaten 4 around one oak tree. Or, I'm guessing that they were eaten by the livestock, I suppose it could have been deer. If you look close at the pic, you can see the teeth marks.

I was still able to salvage about 3/4 of a pound out of this one. The ones in the adjacent pasture with the were all dried up and eaten clear down below the ground. Anyone else seen this???

Attached Files:

• Hen.jpg
      Hen.jpg
      File size:
      3.2 MB
      Views:
  9. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Too bad you didn't get it earlier ! Watch for it next year. There are a lot of animals that eat wild mushrooms, even the poisonous ones.

10. j12goose

j12goose Young Morel

I knew that various animals eat wild mushrooms, and that evidence of animal activity does not mean that certain funguses are safe to eat. I just wasn't sure if I was looking at livestock or deer that had gotten there before I did.

I'll definitely look at the trees next year! There were a total of 4 oaks within about two hundred yards of each other with hens. Two trees had them eaten and the other two were just old and dried up.

This is my first year searching for anything other than morels. A good friend turned me on to the fall mushrooms, and I did find a nice hen earlier this year. It was delicious!

1 person likes this.
  11. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

I used to get lots of nice Hens when I lived in Southern Michigan. I moved to Northern Michigan and they are far & few between. In fact, I've only found 2 in 7 years. The picture is from Southern Michigan. 100_7874.JPG

1 person likes this.