Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Aug 24, 2017.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Barnacle they look like hens to me.. Looks like the rain might have did them in. Remember that spot they will show up in years to come. Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle likes this.
  2. Domdart

Domdart Morel Enthusiast

I put two treestands up today in spots where I always find hens. Nothing yet. It is still too early around Johnstown.

3. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

IMG_6940.JPG
    If you rearrange Cassius it 1 letter off of my last name. Today's starting out great I parked my car to go for a quick hunt and as I was grabbing my gear I turned around and saw my first ever chickens! 5 feet from the car! Very tender and clean, I love first finds! I did see a chicken a few years ago but had no idea what is was and thought it was something to avoid.

2 people like this.
  4. Barnacle

5. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Perfect stage for eating.

Barnacle likes this.
  6. trahn008

I wasn't out hunting yet. A friend of mine stopped by the house today to show me some pictures of some hens he picked. Picked 12 around two different trees, what really surprised me was the size of some of them this early 4 of them where about 3ft around. Finished taking honey off hives and plugging shitake logs today....it's time to hunt!! Happy Hunting!!

7. trahn008

Barnacle a tip for you when hunting hens. Look for black oaks (any red oak family tree) first and then white oaks. Hunt the edges of the forest first (field edge, roadside, power lines etc) zig zag 30-40 yards along that edge that's where most of the hens will be found if any are in that area. Once you get a feel for light exposure you got it nailed. Check every mature oak tree even if it's a single one in the middle of a field or a PARK (hint hint). Don't waste your time going on long hikes in the forest some could be found, but the most by far will be found on those edges!! Pick most of my hens on still standing mature stressed red oak family tree's.

8. trahn008

Hey nice ride by the way!!!!

Barnacle likes this.
  9. Barnacle

Trahn, thanks for taking the time to type all that. I really appreciate such detailed advice. Your right I've been playing a numbers game checking every white oak in the forest! I will employ this new strategy and post what I come up with soon. Good luck out there. Thanks about the car also.

10. Domdart

Domdart Morel Enthusiast

I have never found a hen on a live tree, only on stumps. On top of the mountain, where I live, almost every tree is a large red oak. I've never found a hen there. I hunt among some giant old white oaks down the mountain and nothing, ever. Fortunately, the oaks I hunted deer under 35 years ago, are now stumps where I find hens now.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  11. trahn008

Yep stumps are good also.. But for me the still standing STRESSED tree's are the big producers. Sometimes it's hard to see the stress most times it's heart rot, but you'll see signs of stress in the canopy of the tree. The amount of light that makes it to the forest floor is a key also. If your in the middle of the forest and have an open canopy it's an edge. Trust me I've grew hens for years and light exposure is very important. Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle likes this.
  12. Barnacle

image.jpg IMG_6960.JPG IMG_6961.JPG DING, DING, DING, DING found two babies. I'm getting sharper. Thanks Trahn, Domdart!

Oh 4 babies on same tree. I tend to focus on the side of the tree I can't see and am probably missing ones right in front of me.

1 person likes this.
  13. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

14. trahn008

Congrats Beat!!!

15. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Trahn, I actually took your advice and looked around oaks in a wide open park instead of in the woods during my lunch break.

16. Earthwalkr

Earthwalkr Morel Enthusiast

Hi all. Found these today in southwest part of the state. 100_4472.JPG 100_4473 (2).JPG 100_4475.JPG 100_4480.JPG 100_4481.JPG 100_4482.JPG 100_4486.JPG 100_4487.JPG

17. trahn008

Earth, love that last pic of shang with the first year sprout right next to it's mother. Nice

Barnacle likes this.
  18. Earthwalkr

Earthwalkr Morel Enthusiast

Thanks. Never found Ginseng, never even hunted it. Just happened to notice it and had to take a pic. It was really cool to find something new for my list.

19. trahn008

Was at a friends house yesterday... he has a very large log cultivation on his property and he's been picking lions mane. The weather has been right for them local for me. But.... I haven't been out hunting yet..LOL!!! Find most of my mane on really old dead oak trees and logs (Bark all slipped off). They say old beech trees are the target tree, but don't have much experience with that. Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle likes this.
  20. trahn008

Earth if you get back to that spot or see shang with berries pick them and plant them back where you picked. I like to space them about 2ft apart from each other, dig like a 1inch deep hole and place dirt back over. If left to just drop from mother it causes some crowding issues. Good stewardship is key for this rare plant.

Barnacle likes this.