Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Speaking of honey's, how much honey do you get from your hives? Any processing pics? Great shroom pics BTW

2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Got about 25 gallon from 11 hives which wasn't a good year. A lot of rain cuts down on there fly days. Rain wasn't good for the bees.. but great for mushrooming! Have to look if I have pics, usually don't take any because I'm covered in honey..LOL

Barnacle likes this.

3. Barnacle

image.jpg Wow! I didn't realize you had that level of operation. 25 gallons! What do you do with it all? Farmers markets? If I was closer I be a customer my wife is into local honey when possible. She read somewhere that its good for the kids to help make them resistant to allergens from local plants?
    I have some hens and chicks marinating for jerky and am heading out to check along a bike trail that follows train tracks lined with oaks.

1 person likes this.
  4. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

trahn008 -- you post good pictures. Thanks!

5. trahn008

Thanks SB
    I was thinking of you today was out checking my shitake logs and have a nice flush going. Have sold, eaten and stored all I need to, so I was thinking of making some of that shitake bacon!!! Thanks 4 the tip!

6. trahn008

I use a lot of honey myself kind of an organic person. I also make mead which uses up quite a bit. I use no chemicals in my hives what so ever, which now a days is very hard. I'm usually sold out within a day by word of mouth.
    Looks like some good eats.. Keep us posted with the process.

Barnacle likes this.
  7. Barnacle

IMG_7060.JPG IMG_7061.JPG IMG_7052.JPG IMG_7053.JPG image.jpg image.jpg I just found this bears tooth or lions mane? In the background a new hen caught my eye. I left the white one to see if it gets bigger. Picked the pink one. Found 5 or six more large ones that were to high up but looked great. I'm thinking of using shock corded tent poles with a knife attached to cut them down or trying to climb for them. Crazy jackolanterns

1 person likes this.
  8. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Nice finds barnacle. They're hericium coralloides (Bear's head tooth). Lion's mane (h. erinaceum) has longer spines and does not branch. Both are equally edible however.

Barnacle likes this.
  9. Barnacle

Cool, thanks beat. I think the ones that are higher up may be lions mane by your description. I'll post pics once I get them.

10. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Entoloma abortivum are going crazy in Northern Lower Michigan. IMGP1289.JPG IMGP1301.JPG IMGP1305.JPG

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Earthwalkr

Earthwalkr Morel Enthusiast

100E4511.JPG 100E4513.JPG 100E4515.JPG
    Nice finds and pics. Can anyone give me help on the shroom here. It doesn't weep, has a solid bulbous stem. Never found this before, walked up on a whole patch of them.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  12. trahn008

Cortinarius Violaceus. Maybe Cortinarius Iodes. Did you print it?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Barnacle likes this.
  13. Earthwalkr

Earthwalkr Morel Enthusiast

Just now removed the stem and set the cap on a piece of paper. Wont know spore color till tomorrow. I looked into what you suggested and I don't think it is either.
    Will take a picture of the print tomorrow and post.

Barnacle likes this.
  14. Barnacle

IMG_7087.JPG IMG_7069.JPG IMG_7070.JPG Earth, That's one of the coolest mushrooms I've ever seen.
    Jack those entaloma abortivum look like those Italian cookies you see around the holidays.
    I have a processing procrastination problem guys. I love finding but dread processing. I still haven't put that hens and chick jerky in the dehydrator. I got most of those high up Hericium on my lunch hour today. They seem to be darkening quickly. I picked 4 of those hens that were lemon size last weekend and noticed 6 or 7 more new hens sprouting up on the same tree! If they all grow to maturity that will be 11-12 from one tree! I don't feel like eating this puffball anytime soon and don't know what to do with it.
    Debating the value of dehydrating it for soup later ? Have never tasted it before.

1 person likes this.
  15. trahn008

Barnacle looks like your going to have to find a market to sell your finds. Ask around you'd be surprised how fast they sell, all those mushrooms in your pic are high end. Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle likes this.
  16. trahn008

IMG_1440.JPG Dehydrating is a good way of storing some up for later. Nothing like fresh but not bad.

Barnacle likes this.
  17. trahn008

I'm thinking it is for sure a cortinarius but which one not a 100%.

Barnacle likes this.
  18. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

I'm drooling over those pics barnacle, you have an incredible harvest there.

Barnacle likes this.
  19. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Dave, it's definitely a Cort. I can see the remnants of the vail and a rust color on the gills. There's a lot of purple corts. so it's pretty hard to distinguish which one without a scope.

20. Barnacle

I'm curious what kind of cash might one expect to get for the maitake in the pic with the Hericium? I do plan to dehydrate some for sure. I wish I had a nice covered porch like you. Are you running the Excalibur right on the porch? That's smart, I've been wondering if I'm filling my house with spores.

The hens & chicks jerky came out pretty good, I think I heard about it from fungus muncher? It's the 3 foragers recipe. I used 3 large garlic cloves but next time would use much less and maybe add fresh minced ginger, Sambal Olek chili paste, molasses instead of maple syrup, toasted sesame oil, zest of a couple limes & a little of the juice. Kind of a Thai flavor version.

Thanks beat.