Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey everyone, I was offered over the phone $9 per lb for my maitake up to 40 lbs from a co-op grocery store. Should I accept or try for more once they see them. They said they have never sold them "loose" before. They are really nice looking and clean.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_7328.jpg
IMG_7316.JPG
IMG_7317.JPG
IMG_7318.JPG
IMG_7113.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG

Last 2 Photos taken 1 week apart with no rain between. First 3 came off a single tree in a small patch of ground surrounded on all sides by roads in a park. Everyone is focused on the little intersection and driving right on by these little treasures.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
My hens season was cut short by the high temps and no rain. Got what I needed early, but what could have been a great year was cut short for me local. No real big monster hens this year 30lbs but a lot of basketball size ones. Most are dried perfect sitting along tree's I'm still picking some. Don't have to dehydrate them at all!LOL

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Love picking those hens from grassy area's most times they are super clean. The best ones to send off to market. Congrats on your fine season!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Now that's a good problem to have!!! Take her out for a nice dinner with SOME of the cash you get from the sale. All will be forgotten......until next year..LOL

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_7333.JPG
Yes, fortunately our house has 2 kitchens bc the former owners had built an in law suite/apt, or that s%#t wouldn't fly! When they produce buyer saw the hens they realized that it was not the same as the cultured ones they had in the past and because they could charge more for it they had no problem paying more for it. I am astonished that I was able to offload everything with a single phone call. I am now officially one of there vendors & they are interested in other varieties. Are honeys marketable?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Barnacle I stay away from selling honey's. Stick with the big 5 hens, mane, morels, chants and trumpets. Honey mushrooms have some look alikes, it just takes one in a bag to ruin a good side hustle. Looks like the doors are opening down the road!! Congrats

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7359.JPG
IMG_7362.JPG
IMG_7364.JPG
IMG_7365.JPG
IMG_7366.JPG
Thanks Trahn & Jack. That's good advice on both counts. I'm like a baby deer taking his first steps with this stuff. If I'm not careful those steps might be right off a cliff!

Found a bunch more hens tonight. I've discovered a neighborhood full of them. I was driving along and yard after yard I kept seeing them. Knocked on a few doors, only one person answered. we talked for a bit about hens and he let me pick his and told me I could take the 6 across the stree also because the house was vacant. Jackpot
Anyone know what that is in my first pic? I snapped of a piece and it looks like wood sort of.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice finds Barnacle. Just got back from vacation so it's about time to hit the forest again. Getting ready to go check a few areas that were logged for oak a while back, beautiful open canopy full of old oak stumps and some great perimeter.

Do you guys eat roadside finds? My rule of thumb has always been to never pick within 100 yards of any paved, or roads with moderate traffic. Not sure on maitake, but there are a handful of fungi that are hyperaccumulators of many heavy metals that are found in asphalt and exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_7407.JPG
IMG_7410.JPG
IMG_7411.JPG
IMG_7416.JPG
IMG_7420.JPG
Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered. I did think it's probably not a good idea to eat fungi from anywhere near chemically treated lawns or golf courses etc. I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this matter. Great question FM.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts