Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7299.JPG IMG_7312.JPG
    Oops forgot to post pics

2. Barnacle

Hey everyone, I was offered over the phone $9 per lb for my maitake up to 40 lbs from a co-op grocery store. Should I accept or try for more once they see them. They said they have never sold them "loose" before. They are really nice looking and clean.

3. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Barnacle take it... Sent them the best you have it will open other doors down the road.

4. Barnacle

Great point! It's easy to be short sighted.

5. Barnacle

6. Barnacle

IMG_7328.jpg IMG_7316.JPG IMG_7317.JPG IMG_7318.JPG IMG_7113.JPG IMG_7313.JPG
    Last 2 Photos taken 1 week apart with no rain between. First 3 came off a single tree in a small patch of ground surrounded on all sides by roads in a park. Everyone is focused on the little intersection and driving right on by these little treasures.

1 person likes this.
  7. trahn008

My hens season was cut short by the high temps and no rain. Got what I needed early, but what could have been a great year was cut short for me local. No real big monster hens this year 30lbs but a lot of basketball size ones. Most are dried perfect sitting along tree's I'm still picking some. Don't have to dehydrate them at all!LOL

Barnacle likes this.
  8. trahn008

Love picking those hens from grassy area's most times they are super clean. The best ones to send off to market. Congrats on your fine season!!!

Barnacle likes this.
  9. Barnacle

A fine season Thanks to your tips!
    IMG_7331.JPG Guess who's wife is getting irritated.

1 person likes this.
  10. trahn008

Now that's a good problem to have!!! Take her out for a nice dinner with SOME of the cash you get from the sale. All will be forgotten......until next year..LOL

Barnacle likes this.
  11. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

I was going to say, that looks like a " Man Cave " fridge, Beer & Wild Mushrooms !!

12. Barnacle

IMG_7333.JPG Yes, fortunately our house has 2 kitchens bc the former owners had built an in law suite/apt, or that s%#t wouldn't fly! When they produce buyer saw the hens they realized that it was not the same as the cultured ones they had in the past and because they could charge more for it they had no problem paying more for it. I am astonished that I was able to offload everything with a single phone call. I am now officially one of there vendors & they are interested in other varieties. Are honeys marketable?

1 person likes this.
  13. trahn008

Barnacle I stay away from selling honey's. Stick with the big 5 hens, mane, morels, chants and trumpets. Honey mushrooms have some look alikes, it just takes one in a bag to ruin a good side hustle. Looks like the doors are opening down the road!! Congrats

Barnacle likes this.
  14. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Make sure you check the laws. In Michigan you have to be Certified by the State to sell wild mushrooms, including morels.

Barnacle likes this.
  15. Barnacle

IMG_7343.JPG IMG_7359.JPG IMG_7362.JPG IMG_7364.JPG IMG_7365.JPG IMG_7366.JPG Thanks Trahn & Jack. That's good advice on both counts. I'm like a baby deer taking his first steps with this stuff. If I'm not careful those steps might be right off a cliff!

Found a bunch more hens tonight. I've discovered a neighborhood full of them. I was driving along and yard after yard I kept seeing them. Knocked on a few doors, only one person answered. we talked for a bit about hens and he let me pick his and told me I could take the 6 across the stree also because the house was vacant. Jackpot
    Anyone know what that is in my first pic? I snapped of a piece and it looks like wood sort of.

1 person likes this.
  16. Barnacle

Found these today.lots of bug damage IMG_7375.JPG IMG_7377.JPG IMG_7378.JPG IMG_7379.JPG IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7397.JPG IMG_7398.JPG

1 person likes this.
  17. Barnacle

Cool looking bolete also

Attached Files:

18. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

Very nice finds Barnacle. Just got back from vacation so it's about time to hit the forest again. Getting ready to go check a few areas that were logged for oak a while back, beautiful open canopy full of old oak stumps and some great perimeter.

Do you guys eat roadside finds? My rule of thumb has always been to never pick within 100 yards of any paved, or roads with moderate traffic. Not sure on maitake, but there are a handful of fungi that are hyperaccumulators of many heavy metals that are found in asphalt and exhaust fumes.

Barnacle likes this.
  19. Barnacle

IMG_7407.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7411.JPG IMG_7416.JPG IMG_7420.JPG Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered. I did think it's probably not a good idea to eat fungi from anywhere near chemically treated lawns or golf courses etc. I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this matter. Great question FM.

1 person likes this.