Featured Fall Mushrooms 2017

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Aug 24, 2017.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Yes I do take note of where I pick. Heavy used roadways are no pick zones for me. I stay away from area's that use weed and feed type of treatment. I also never pick in cemeteries, I just think it's not right. Happy Hunting!

Antiquated notions and Barnacle like this.
  2. trahn008

That first picture looks like old reishi.

3. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

No luck with porcini yet but we just had some good rain and I found a bunch more hens on my lunch hour. half of them were to far gone. IMG_7526.JPG IMG_7527.JPG IMG_7528.JPG IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7530.JPG IMG_7534.JPG
    This was an odd sight for sure as I was in my scrubs hauling these large bags suspended from my hiking pole out of the preserve. Luckily I had a cooler in my car and found some ice packs from Botox in the freezer at work.
    It's been pretty quiet on here lately, anyone else finding anything interesting?

4. trahn008

The dry weather shut things down for me local. Been bow hunting and starting to see some mushroom life after some of the rain. Should start to find some soon. Happy Hunting!

5. Matt McCullough

Matt McCullough Young Morel

I am just north of Pittsburgh and everything we found a few weeks ago were dried out. I am hoping this rain and cold helps. Would like to go out Sunday to see if anything has sprouted.

6. Barnacle

IMG_7538.JPG IMG_7541.JPG IMG_7543.JPG IMG_7544.JPG On my lunch hour today I found a new spot with a bunch more hens some were good some starting to deteriorate. As I walked up I noticed this brown thing on the ground. Could it be chaga? I didn't notice any birch around. One of the oaks with the hens had a spot high up that looked similar to the chunk on the ground.

7. Barnacle

Maybe that isn't an oak tree? Most of the hens were closer to the darker tree. The formation doesn't look like it's growing on the tree as much as exploding out of it. From reading it seems very rare to find it on non birch trees. Strange

Antiquated notions likes this.
  8. trahn008

Not Chaga. Looks to be a wood burl.

Barnacle likes this.
  9. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Is anyone having any luck finding any porcini this fall?

10. Barnacle

IMG_7666.JPG Not me, I've been looking but no luck. I have never found one. About to go out right now for a look. I was in a local pine barren yesterday but cut it short bc the permethrin must have worn off my scrubs. I looked down after 5 minutes of walking and saw 4 tics climbing my legs and decided to leave. I had high hopes for matsutake and porcini. This is what the barren looks like. Very sandy like beach sand. IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7665.JPG

11. Earthwalkr

Earthwalkr Morel Enthusiast

The Blewitts are fruiting in Southwest Ohio. 100_4552.JPG

Attached Files:

12. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Good to know. Thanks Earthwalker.
    The only Blewits I've found in central OH this Fall, so far, is at Whole Foods Grocery last week for $20/lb. and they were listed as grown in PA. Ha! . . . probably a cultivator.

I'd like to get them growing in my back yard. I brought some wild, vibrant Blewits home from the woods last fall, rolled the stem butts and pieces into wet deconstructed cardboard. I checked 10 days later and the mycellium was going great . . . but I lost a week somewhere and they were on the downward growth spiral by the time I got around to putting them into my flower beds that are wood chipped.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Ramblinrosie

Ramblinrosie Morel Enthusiast

There was a small flush where i live in nw Ct around the 3rd week of September. Anyone see any since the rains? Shaggy cap is what I'm seeing right now, and lots of it.

14. Barnacle

IMG_7728.JPG IMG_7729.JPG IMG_7743.JPG IMG_7744.JPG
    I've been In an area that was logged 2-3 yrs ago and could pick a 100lbs of turkey tail if I had any idea what to do with it. Although they didn't clear cut, they brutalized 200ish acre hillside. It looks like they just drove over less desirable trees to get to what they wanted. Left an 8' tall tire behind. So disappointing to see.

15. trahn008

You could make a tea out of the turkey tails. Do some reading up on the health benefits and see if it's you cup of tea.

16. trahn008

Was out tracking a deer yesterday and picked a nice flush of Blewitts. Also saw a nice flush of field mushrooms in a yard. Looks like the fall season is winding down!! Happy Hunting!!

Barnacle likes this.
  17. Barnacle

IMG_7790.JPG IMG_7791.JPG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7793.JPG IMG_7794.JPG I was sitting on top of my parents detached garage that is covered in 2-3 inches of pine needles because it sits amidst large eastern white pines waiting for some deer to come by when I noticed some shrumps. Anyone know what these are? Hard to tell by the pics but they were light purple.

18. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

19. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Looks like blewits barnacle, just spore print them to make sure.

20. trahn008

Barnacle looks like you have a nice flush of blewits. Next on the list for me will be velvet shank mushrooms and then that should be it for the season. Had a Great Fall Season posting with you all.... Happy Hunting!!