Featured fall mushrooms NY 2017

Discussion in 'New York' started by benjammin, Sep 22, 2017.

1. benjammin

benjammin Morel Enthusiast

Figured I would start a NY thread. I've been finding chickens and bears comb tooth pretty decent recently here in NY. Here's some chicken I found off one log the other day. I found it friday just barely emerging and waited until wednesday to harvest. although I don't have a scale, I think it is right around 60 to 80 lbs. happy hunting New Yorkers! IMG950880.jpg

2. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

IMG_7132.JPG IMG_7082.JPG IMG_7114.JPG Hey Ben, that's an incredible picture. its good to finally hear from another New Yorker. I'm in Saratoga county area, what area of NY are you in. I also have been finding bears tooth and lions mane lately. I'm pretty new to all this but have been getting great tips and advice from a bunch of people on the Pennsylvania threads. I'd like to see i pic of the log from Friday and Wednesday if you took any prior to harvesting.

1 person likes this.

3. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Benjammin now that is a haul of chickens. Congrats!!!

4. scavengerurban

scavengerurban Young Morel

Hi, guys. I live in NYC. Planing to go to Catskill to hunt some mushrooms. Does anyone recommend any areas for hunting? Thanks in advance.

Barnacle likes this.
  5. Barnacle

I don't know the area enough but my friend said bow season starts tomorrow here in NY so be careful and wear bright chlothes. Stick to places where hunting is not allowed if possible. Good luck post pics of your finds if you can.

scavengerurban likes this.
  6. benjammin

Hi barnacle, im from erie county. it is nice to hear from a fellow ny shroomer, theyre hard to come by online. I did meet a fellow shroomer in the middle of the woods on state land the other day, that was a nice surprise and we had a good chat. i am also pretty new to this but have been taking in as much info as possible, and like you alot from pennsyltuckey as theyre conditions are alot like ours. i do have prior pics of the chicken but my phone is broke if i can get them off of the phone i will post them soon.

Barnacle likes this.
  7. scavengerurban

scavengerurban Young Morel

Harriman mushroom hunting.

Last weekend we went to the forest.

My little dog found CHAGA

IMG_3523.JPG

I got only this one:

No_name.jpg

Please help me to identify:

Help_ID.jpg

Barnacle likes this.
  8. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Not chaga.. The bolete looks to be a leccinum. Happy Hunting!

Barnacle likes this.
  9. Barnacle

Cool, thanks Benjammin.
    Ive been watching videos on matsutake and want to try to find some so I can smell that smell everyone mentions. People refer to them as "pine mushrooms " some say look in spruce others say fir woods some videos look like sandy deciduous forests. The common thing I notice amongst them is it appears cold outside where they're hunting. Have you all had any success with matsutake. Also is anyone finding porcini?

10. benjammin

i found 6 or 8 porcini last week in the middle of the woods under hemlock maybe? they taste very nutty when cooked. i read that you can eat them raw so i tried a bite and they taste totally different when cooked vs raw. i will try and get a pic up soon. my phone is broke but a friend has a pic on his.

Barnacle likes this.