Finding any blacks yet,,,anyone???

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by marty, Mar 20, 2016.

1. marty

marty Morel Enthusiast

Any luck yet hunters, Coming up to my farm in Estil Co, in just over a week, Seeing cold weather tonight and warming back up by the end of the week,

2. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

I went out today, didn't see anything.

3. dallas050

dallas050 Young Morel

I will be traveling to the Hopkinsville, KY area (Southwest KY) tomorrow (Thursday). I will let everyone know what I find. I'm hoping to find black morels. If they are not up yet, then next week for sure.

4. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Last year March/July they ran a new gasline very near one of my spots.. i am wondering if i should check for black there. Its at the bottom of the hill where i normally find yellows and greys

5. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

Found 6 blacks today in the same area where I found the 4 last Wednesday. 2 were 3-4 inches tall and the others were 2-3 inches. All on a ridge of mature poplars. I'd post pics if I had any idea how to on this site!

6. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Just came in from the woods. From what I see it is still early. Maybe some blacks in very special spots but for the most part the season is a good week away as long as we get plenty of rain over the next 5 days. I will post a couple pics soon.

7. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

3-24-2016
    Still early but blacks should be up and showing up after a decent night of rain.

Here is an example of "too much" slip on the bark. This tress was fruitful roughly 3 or 4 years ago.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. dallas050

dallas050 Young Morel

I traveled to my honey hole (located in Southwest KY - Hopkinsville, KY area) this morning, early, and nothing. This spot has produced Blacks, Greys, and Yellows the past 6 years consistently. The coming week looks promising.thought with the rain and weather. Let's keep each other updated over the next few days! please....

9. stasiakj

I'm going to try and get out this weekend, but sheesh this weather. Who turned on the AC this morning?!

10. stasiakj

Nutsak, the 2d photo, what kind of tree is that? There's an awful lot sycamores in this area and I use to find morels around them in Arkansas.

11. ricard76

Stasiakj, Nutsak's pic is of an elm loosing it's bark. As to the sycamores, I do find the big yellows near them in KY also. May try to get out tomorrow to see if the recent rain has raised anymore blacks.

12. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Huge amounts of rainfall last night and windy enough to get to the soil. Back Morels will be this weekend. (under large leafy ground cover.) If we get the forecast projected for the next 10 Days we will be in season for yellows around April 6th - 9th.

13. stasiakj

Out in the woods, nothing more frustrating than being in a new area trying to find those spots. No fungi to be found...for now.
    Jim

14. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Jim, I noticed today that after all that rain the rest of the trees have joined the bloom. I went Thursday and the only bloom were cherry and magnolia. The rest waiting for the heavy rain to bloom. I am guessing if you look hard you will find some black morels but the yellows are just still a week or more out.

15. shroomwhisperer

shroomwhisperer Morel Enthusiast

Nutsak, are you even in Kentucky? I have been out in the woods All week near you Jim and things are starting to become alive. I've found several devils urns, scarlet rosecups, squawroot, etc. Mostly all the trees have blossoms. Still goose egg on the morels. I don't think I'm searching the right elevations. They are finding them all around us!!

16. ricard76

Found 7 more blacks today in Jefferson county. These had all popped since Wednesday when I was in the same patches. The heavy frost had no affect on the ones I found today. By next weekend the hunting should be much better.

17. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

right now you need sunny spots. places that are rocky with limestone jutting out to keep them warm at night. Look in the non typical spots for the black. check the little rollers near the hilltops. "moundy" areas that can hold water and heat at night. Again if you have a hilltop stop with Chuncky limestone buolders you should have blacks. Yeah I have seen all that other stuff but I determine a lot by how developed the trees are. I am in northern Ky right now on the Ohio river.
    I will probably grab a couple of black up tomorrow afternoon and hopefully will have some better photo's to post.

18. shroomwhisperer

shroomwhisperer Morel Enthusiast

Ricard76, that's awesome!! I spent the morning on ridges of poplar and hickory in Jefferson county and came out nil. I actually think I was at too high of elevations...not sure. Ground cover looked exactly like your photos on kyhunting. Said posts are also why I never give up lol. Maybe I shouldn't trample through anywhere else til closer to next weekend. Congrats on your finds!! Some cream of morel beef stroganoff sounds really good right now

19. ricard76

Cream of morel soup for Easter but I had to cheat and rehydrate some from last year to go with the 17 I have picked so far. I have found all of those on or just down off the edge of ridge tops.

20. ricard76

Shroomwhisperer, my post are fairly similar on the 2 sites. I just go by different names on each. I just wish I could figure out how to post pics on this site also. I have checked one lower elevation spot with no success.