Finding any blacks yet,,,anyone???

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by marty, Mar 20, 2016.

1. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

2. shroomwhisperer

shroomwhisperer Morel Enthusiast

Ricard, I am definitely envious of the soup. Never have gave dehydrating a try, but I do slice then batter and freeze on cookie sheet like you illustrated last year or so on the other site. Recurve77 right? I've messaged you from my "thecoyotewhisperer" account a few times. I don't know how to post pics on this site either. My stash of frozen ones generally are gone by July lol, enjoy your soup tomorrow! Happy Easter to you and yours!

3. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

Now I know who you are! Just finished the soup. Have a great Easter and good luck the rest of the season!

4. stasiakj

Humid today. Out in the woods again and some encouraging ground cover that from my experience in Georgia, the season is about to take off.

5. stasiakj

And BAM! First find. Nice black morel.

6. marty

marty Morel Enthusiast

Great to see the message board come to life. Can't wait to get up there Tuesday morning and hit the woods outside of Irvine.

7. redbird66

redbird66 Morel Enthusiast

I went to my Honey hole today to look and only found one black about the size of my little finger only shorter. It has been so dry in Jackson County, a good rain will make them really pop!

8. ricard76

Tonight's rain with the past 2 days being unseasonably warm and sunny will set the stage for some good picking this week. Hoping to have the opportunity to check on patches that have sporadically produced the past 10 days and hunt my farm in Hart. Both areas received good rains tonight.

9. stasiakj

From yesterday. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  10. ricard76

stasiakj, Those blacks are more mature than the one's I have been finding. Look's like they have been up for at least a week. What part of the state did you find those?

11. stasiakj

12. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Just checked in from an decent spot. Found a shattered ash tree and did a small soil scrape under it. I found all the signs we need to start the season. Although it is a bit chilled out and growth has been very very slow this year. The season for black has started in rocky areas and will continue for the next week at least. The ground conditions are perfect we just need some warmer nights.

[​IMG]

here is a link to my 2016 Morel photo album. I will continue to update it throughout the season.

2016 Morel Photo's

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  13. stasiakj

WTH. Worms? You got your forums crossed.

14. ricard76

Found 8 more blacks most of them being @ 3 inches tall and getting easier to see. 7 of these came from the patch where I picked 5 Saturday morning. There is no way I missed those Saturday unless they were totally hidden under the leaves. It seems that these grew faster than the other 5 considering that was just slightly over 48 hours ago. Still have a few patches that have yet to produce this year.

15. ricard76

My wife & I checked several of our patches on our Hart county farm today. It was my 1st hunt there this year and we found 41. 35 blacks and surprisingly 6 1-3 inch yellow/grey delisiosa. I have never found a grey or yellow in March in KY. Also 2 of the blacks were already very fragile due to age but most were very fresh and probably came up since Sunday's rain.

16. nutsak

It is going to be a great morning for hunting morels. Thursdays scattered showers were warm spring rains and the soil temps are holding overnight. This may be the last "go" at blacks and the beginning of the grey/yellow season in Kentucky. I have a felling if you have not found blacks yet, this weekend may be your last chance at bringing those out of the woods this year.

We need 4` degree warmer nights for a span of 6-8 days and we will have big yellows.

Happy Hunting

17. ricard76

Nutsak, I'm concerned that you may be correct. I hunted my black patches yesterday in Jefferson county and only found 2 new ones. I have picked 64 total for the season so far of which 6 were yellow/grey deliciosas. That is the most I have ever picked in KY by 4/1 and I looked at my notes from past years and I'm usually picking blacks up until mid April. I hope we haven't already blown through the ground temp range for the blacks.

18. morelseeker

morelseeker Morel Connoisseur

My friend just called me today and said his relatives who live in Floyd County,Ky, that find many every year, haven't found any this year.

19. stasiakj

Found a dozen more blacks yesterday. Same place as my find last week. I'm going to cover alot of ground tomorrow, looking for more spots.

20. nutsak

Last day before the freeze. After this frost chance of finding blacks in northern kentucky will be slim. However. The high winds are churning up the underbrush and making way for round 2. After this all we need is a good 3-4 days stretch of rain and hopefully the greys will show up next week. ( 4-7-2016 ) Normally I wouldn't advise picking young mushrooms but pay attention to the weather. If you find greys let them grow as long as you can get back to them if it is going to frost again.