Finding Morels

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by meghanleigh024, May 18, 2013.

1. meghanleigh024

meghanleigh024 Morel Enthusiast

Hi all, I got into mushroom searching with my boyfriend 5 years ago but just got lucky and found a couple spots we go back to every year and grab a couple handfuls. Could you give me any pointers on hunting this year. (My boyfriend works out of state and I still want to go.) Also, If I do find any how do you cook them? Do any of you sell them if you find a large amount? We have a dehydrator, do you recommend using one? How do you preserve yours?
    Thanks!!!! BTW I live south of the river and haven't seen any yet!

2. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Your answer to dehydrator is yess it works well. Store in jars after or vacuume seal.

3. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I have just put them on a table with a fan running works well in a air conditioned house. Cant be too humid.

4. schrooming nana

schrooming nana Morel Enthusiast

Before I put them in the jar I let them sit for about 6 to 8 hours and deydrate for another hour or so, nothing worse then opening your jar in the middle of winter and all ya got is mold, Been there, done it, very sad day that was.

5. buckthornman

Thats why nesco is the way to go Nana.

6. meghanleigh024

I looked again today no such luck. Although I found the top of one very very small and looked like insects were eating them away. How do you clean yours?

7. meghanleigh024

8. buckthornman

Brand name of dehydrator.

9. meghanleigh024

How long do you put them in the dehydrator? Do you still fix them the same when cooking? How do you cook yours?

10. buckthornman

Cold salt water. Rub gently with soft cloth. Sprayer on sink on gentle. Very gentle.

11. buckthornman

The dehydrator has a setting for schrooms and veggie. It's the lowest setting 95degrees I think. Not by it rt now. And as for reconstitution. Warm water not past 3 or 4 on the stove. And Heaven for bid don't throw away the broth you get when bringing them back to life. It's morel stock. Then make some frenck onion soup. And hang on to your taste buds buds yummy!

12. buckthornman

They aren,t fresh and never will be again. But thats the beauty of it. Forage,feast and then famine.

13. schrooming nana

schrooming nana Morel Enthusiast

As soon as this one dies that will be the way to go, I've been looking, I thought after 20 some years this one would but still going sometime a little slower then a newer model but so am I. If we got replaced cuz we were old I wouldn't be here either, lol

14. meghanleigh024

How do you cook yours? Just butter & salt n' pepper on the stove?

15. buckthornman

When fresh it's the only way. I like to can them too. Speghetti sauce Mmmm. Find a little one put some boursin cheese in it pop it on the grill for a sec.

16. meghanleigh024

Nice, never thought of that when we have cooked them we always just do it on the stovetop. Do any of you sell your shrooms?

17. buckthornman

I was a chef cook a chook for sometime so I'm a little out of the box. And picky...

18. buckthornman

I will but it won,t be until the end of the week or early next week.

19. meghanleigh024

Hey, I like new ideas! Wow, I'm totally crazy some right now!!

20. meghanleigh024

I went out today and didn't see any do you think its common for people in MN not finding them like usual?