First find of year

Discussion in 'Nebraska' started by thereaper, Apr 30, 2014.

1. thereaper

thereaper Morel Enthusiast

Just found 5 little ones on my lunch break Omaha area. I know now I can bring in pounds. For everyone saying you can't find them you have walked by numerous shrooms. Get close to the ground they are camouflaged really well at this size. Happy hunting!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. taint misbehavin

taint misbehavin Morel Enthusiast

Yes, they are still pretty small. And tons of leaf cover.

I'm glad you're finding some in Omaha! I'm about to scout around the MO River now.

3. thereaper

Found 16 by MO river last night with my 4 year old. Very small and hard to see you have to get down by the ground to see a lot of them.

4. matriarch

matriarch Young Morel

TheReaper, im going up into Niobrara/Lewis & Clark this weekend, did you have any success hunting the MO river?

5. thereaper

A little like I said found 16 haven't been back yet but I'm confident Sunday will be good hunting on the MO river. A lot of people are having success already. Found around 50 in a couple hours last night on Platte. Had a couple people with me but mostly picked in two main areas.

6. shroomanitutanka

shroomanitutanka Morel Connoisseur

I've had luck above the niobrara entrance into the Missouri. Specifically below the sunshine bottoms in the cedar forested area on the Nebraska side. Some ranchers run cattle in there, so you may have some bovine company from time to time. Also just up river from the verdel landing and the blue moon, after the cabins end, there is a nice stretch of cottonwoods that have always yielded in the past. Down near L&C, in the area around Weigand campgrounds to the west have been good too. Start in the open grass areas close to the tree lines
    Good luck & happy hunting!
    Shroomani