1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

First Hunt-Clayton

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by mark1234, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mark1234

mark1234 Young Morel

Went out yesterday afternoon for an hour or so hoping the moisture and recent warm weather would start popping the grays. Nothing yet.

2. just1more

just1more Morel Enthusiast

I did the same thing yesterday! Went out for an hour to see if anything was popping up and nothing! Glad to hear I am not the only one having the same luck! Going out Saturday to my usual spots. It still may be a tad early!

3. shroominator

shroominator Morel Enthusiast

Even though I found 1 yesterday, it's still a little early. Keep hoping for rain and warmer temps without it getting too hot too quickly.

4. mark1234

mark1234 Young Morel

Hey Shroominator-I read in another post that you are from Iowa. What part? I grew up in the Cedar Rapids area but have been in NC since '87.

5. shroominator

shroominator Morel Enthusiast

Hey Mark1234, I grew up in Corydon, Iowa. It's in the south-central part, close to the Missouri border. Been in NC since 2000. The morels were abundant in Iowa when I was growing up. I didn't realize they grew in NC, so I was shocked when I stepped on one in my back yard here about 5 years ago.

6. mark1234

mark1234 Young Morel

7 small grays found yesterday afternoon in Clayton. Hoping the yellows will appear soon.

Shroominator-I'm vaguely familiar with Corydon. Hope your season is bountiful! Too bad we don't live closer and hunt together.