First Hunt for Me.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by eidolon, Mar 24, 2018.

1. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Found 6 in Clarke Co. this a.m., 2 blondes and 4 "others." The first ones I've ever found intentionally; it took me 2 hours to spot the 1st one. One of the blondes was broken, so I brought it home to re-hydrate. One of the darker ones is a baby, about 1.5 inches tall, and I left it, to see how big and how fast it grows. The darker ones are devilishly hard to spot, the big blonde was easily spotted from a long way off, maybe 15 feet away. Going to look in another spot this afternoon. WP_20180324_060.jpg WP_20180324_014.jpg

2. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Congrats! Hoping you have another successful hunt . . .

3. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

The one you left is a diminutiva and probably won't get much bigger

1 person likes this.
  4. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

Congrads. Good to know they're still out. I've read on this forum, another state I think, that those greys are immature yellows but those look mature to me. Let us know how you fix 'em.

5. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

A guy on the facebook GA Mushroom group said the same thing, that the darker ones are immature yellows. They are supposed to be softer and have more flavor. I cooked these in a pan after cooking a steak: olive oil and butter, garlic, a small amount of red wine. I poured the resulting juice over a big pot of rice. It was all delicious. I wish I had about 50 more... WP_20180324_103.jpg

2 people like this.
  6. MorelDude88

MorelDude88 Morel Enthusiast

Don’t know how greys can be immature yellows when i find large greys

7. MorelDude88

Hello from northern Illinois by the way

eidolon likes this.
  8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Due to DNA sequencing now, they found that Morchella esculenta is only known in Europe. Our version is named Morchella americana and is different microscopically . Also Grays are Immature M. americana & the ones that used to be called Morchella Crassipes ( Bigfoots ) are just mature M. americana. The newest Reference Guide out , with all the new names is Ascomycete Fungi of North America by Michael W. Berg, Alean E. Bessette and Arleen R. Bessette.

9. MorelDude88

Must be some variation within the Americana species because I find small yellows/whites, small greys and large greys as well as large yellows. The only explanation for that is there are a few different species or phenotype variation.