1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

First Hunt in 14 years

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Shrek73, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Shrek73

Shrek73 Young Morel

I grew up in Illinois and hunted morels every spring, but I joined the Army in 1997 and moved around for the next 10+ years. In 2003 I found some monsters at Fort Drum, which is in northern New York, by chance and got hooked again. In 2003 I was transferred to PA and later VA where I was engulfed by my job I forgot about morels for a while. This past Easter I visited my mother in Illinois, and found these three morels near the creek behind her house on Sunday afternoon. They have brought back my passion for morel hunting.

I now reside in TX and did not think morels would grow here, until I found the Texas Forum on this forum. I also spend time in Colorado and found their forum as well. Glad I found this forum!

Attached Files:

2. Hoykuss

Hoykuss Young Morel

Hi, I'm currently at Fort Drum. Are you willing to tell me where you found them????

3. Hoykuss

Hoykuss Young Morel

I'm from Northwest Indiana.

4. Shrek73

Shrek73 Young Morel

No problem. I found them in the woods behind Bastogne Loop. If you look a Google maps you will find Bastogne Loop off S Riva Ridge Loop. We lived at the bottom of the loop on the west side. There is an open field behind the house we lived in, and I think there was a football goal post there in 2003, but I don't see it on the satellite image now. I searched in the area behind our house and near that field, but I am sure most of the woods in that area will have them.

They were much larger than the ones I found in Illinois. I found so many that I tried to give some away to they guys in my unit, but none of them had ever seen a morel and didn't want them. I cant remember when I found them, but I would imagine it was spring time. I remember it snowed on Mothers Day one year, so anything is possible.