1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

First Maitakes!... Best way to preserve them?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jdk32581, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

I have read they can be fresh frozen or dried? Anyone know which way is best? Just got a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer.....

3. cooley

cooley Morel Connoisseur

I put my hens in the freezer that I harvested this year. They say if you freeze them do not defrost them just throw them in frozen and heat them.

4. morelseeker

morelseeker Morel Connoisseur

chop them up to about 1/4 inch dice cook them in your favorite oil until just about done then freeze them without draining them much. Leave them oily. Freeze them, then later cook them in a hot skillet frozen until all the way done. Mine never make it to the freezer. I eat them like a hog, mixing them in soups, sauces and with Chinese dishes. The only ones I freeze are the ones that are in the soup I make. I make 3 gallons at a time. The ones I didn't, eat if my friends have had enough, I pitch out to the squirrels and they seem to like them enough to keep them away from the bird seed I throw out for the birds.

5. ant

ant Morel Connoisseur

Lay on foil on a cookie sheet and freeze put in gallon bags.Remove as much air as possible.As stated earlier cook while still frozen.They will stay good for over a year.I like to make omlets outa them.