First signs this year in NC

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by eadsiam, Mar 24, 2019.

1. eadsiam

eadsiam Young Morel

found my first ones this year, 10 that could fit on a quarter head but it’s a start.

Attached Files:

2. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

3. Chris1022

Chris1022 Morel Enthusiast

What part of the state? I'm in Western NC ... Wayyyyyy west.. I'm probably going out today

4. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

Those are just babies. I understand your excitement and am happy for you, but why pick 'em at that early stage of their development? Don't be so greedy. If you pick them before they mature and sporulate then the cycle of reproduction is broken. Please be more thoughtful about the fungi in the future. It's not all about today. It's about ensuring, through our behavior, that there are plenty of Morels to find year after year, decade after decade. That's why we pinch or cut the fruits instead of damaging the mycelium. That's why we use mesh sacks instead of plastic bags.
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you're going to brag about picking those babies you obviously don't understand the basic principles of foraging.

5. gutterman

gutterman Morel Enthusiast

Wow.....If it’s public ground I say pick what you can when you can. If private yeah could’ve left to grow but not worth having someone become rude, demeaning, and calling people greedy. Keep your drama to Facebook walkabout and do what your mama preached as a kid and if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything. Let people live there own lives.

6. gutterman

8B3E0593-B622-430D-8A30-EE66B63BACAC.jpeg Oh and this came from public ground too where I pick hundreds of mushrooms every year. If you don’t take it the guy that just pulled in to park will. Never hurt the respawn in hunting ground around here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Walkabout

I guess we can all agree that we don't all agree on some things.

8. gutterman

What do we not agree on? The fact that your demonstrative to others? The fact that each person has the right to hunt as they please without trolls coming for them? The fact that people need to learn to live there own lives and let others live theirs? Or the fact I guarantee even though I’m a sinner to a god like yourself I bet I pick more morels every single year in those spots where I’m not thinking of the fungi as you said? I’ve picked the same areas my entire life and my father did before me and the morels are plentiful. I’m done with the back and forth and hate that this site has become like Facebook with the trolls and people always having something to say about things not there business. Last thing how’s the weather up there on the cross?

AIM, Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Walkabout

Good morning Gutterman. I appreciate your input and perspective. Thanks for sharing.

AIM likes this.
  10. Man of the Woods

Man of the Woods Young Morel

Only some species "grow". I have found big yellows (3"- 5") in Michigan that came up in our campsite overnite. It had snowed a dusting the evening before and was cold enough that nite the snow stayed until next morning, and lo 'n' behold, the 3" to 5" yellows showed up in our camp and you could see where the snow had been "pushed back". We camped there 2 more days and they didn't grow. We picked them b4 we left.

11. Chris1022

Im in Western NC ... As far west as you can get.. I found some adolescent devil's urn yesterday, but no morels. Had an old timer tell .e there were some blacks found about 15 min from me.. so I'm remaining hopeful.

Walkabout likes this.
  12. Chris1022

believe this is adolescent devil's urn

Walkabout likes this.
  13. Chris1022

IMG_20190326_164458.jpg Well... It won't let me post the picture

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Walkabout likes this.
  14. Walkabout

Go back to your post and hit the three lil horizontal bars on left hand screen. Then "edit post", then"upload a file", then hit "documents", then pick "full-size image"
    Should work. I had the same problem. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Does yer youthful devil's urn look like this Chris1022? 20190321_135936.jpg

15. Chris1022

Ok... It worked, thanks.. you tell me what you think. I believe it's devil's urn

16. Chris1022

I was told yesterday that the mountain I live on isn't proper soil.. there's a lot of Laurel and pine... There's no tulip poplar.. very little ash or slippery elm.. the picture I just posted was in a dead hole in some kind of elm I believe.

Walkabout likes this.
  17. Walkabout

It worked! And yes they look quite devilish to me. I heard that they primarily grow on oak, but a hardwood is a hardwood so Elm could be a possible host as well.

18. Chris1022

It may have been an oak.. I'm not real keen on identifying leafless trees I'll get there

Walkabout likes this.
  19. Walkabout

Trees are tough for sure. Just learn 1 new tree each season. Really focus on just one type. In a year you'll know 4 up and down in and out. Focus on the habitat. Just like the trees can tell us were mushrooms will likely be the habitat will tell you what kind of trees you might find... Keep hunting!
    Btw... your bad mountain with pine and laurel may still host some treasures for you after all. Pine is associated with the "spring king" boletus edulis or "porchini"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  20. Walkabout

I highly recommend "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora. Very good info on habitats and trees 20190324_143736.jpg

1 person likes this.